How Old Are You?

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm kind of curious about how many country kids remember smoking cigarettes made out of corn silk wrapped in newspaper. To put it kindly, they would gag a maggot.
I remember when I was 11-12 years old I read someplace that people did that and I thought hmmm.......interesting....possibly mind altering?.....must investigate..... At first I though ok I'll ask mom if she ever tried it, but nixed that idea after thinking about it because mom was nosy and would ask too many questions. One day when I was alone with my dad and grandpa I asked them and they said they had both done it when young. I convinced my dad to roll me one with one of my grandpas rolling papers and let me try it. It was so nasty....lol...and definitely not mind altering.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember when I was 11-12 years old I read someplace that people did that and I thought hmmm.......interesting....possibly mind altering?.....must investigate..... At first I though ok I'll ask mom if she ever tried it, but nixed that idea after thinking about it because mom was nosy and would ask too many questions. One day when I was alone with my dad and grandpa I asked them and they said they had both done it when young. I convinced my dad to roll me one with one of my grandpas rolling papers and let me try it. It was so nasty....lol...and definitely not mind altering.
I remember finding my old man's pipe (tobacco, unlit) and trying to inhale and getting nothing. So I stupidly tasted the tobacco at the end. Talk about nasty :barfgreen:

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I'm my much-much-older brother was in Vietnam, solid-state TVs, typewriters, Watergate, Iran Hostage incident, "If this van's a-rockin", don't come a-knockin' (one of my brothers, older than I, had one with a bed in the back), Saturday Night Fever, "Lucky Charms are magically delicious", Jimmy Hoffa went missing, big hair, natural fibers, shoulder pads, the discovery of HIV/AIDS, leisure suits (yuck!), Radio Shack computers, punk rock, I could go to an adult Halloween party dressed as a Japanese geisha (I did my best to be authentic and respectful), and nobody complained about it old (little did I know, I actually have some Japanese DNA!).

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember The Electric Company but it must have been reruns because I wasn't alive when it first ran. I also remember Pinwheel. But that ran until 1990 so I guess that's not too special, lol.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm kind of curious about how many country kids remember smoking cigarettes made out of corn silk wrapped in newspaper. To put it kindly, they would gag a maggot.
We never smoked corn silk but I used to sneak my fathers Kent's to smoke when I was in my teens.