How often to rotate proteins

mannie3moon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I like to keep my cat's diet as varied as possible, both for her enjoyment and as protection against mistakes. Right now, her rotation includes five different (raw) proteins and the occasional can of cat food. I've been feeding her a different protein every day, and while she hasn't complained, I'm wondering whether this is too often. Would it be better to rotate her proteins every two or three days versus every day? What do you guys do? She is a strictly indoor cat.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think either of those is fine. Whatever works for you. Rotations are good.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I agree with kittyluv387 kittyluv387 . Whatever works for you and your cat. I feed twice a day and rotate among three proteins: chicken, turkey and pork. Because they all seem to like chicken the best, I give two chicken meals in a row and then one of the others. Others who’ve posted here have different rotations so I think it’s flexible! :)

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
if it hasn't posed an issue, i think it's good.. specter gets tiki one day and homeade turkey the next day, no issues have come of it, gonna add more in the future

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats get a different protein every day. One of my cats needs a slow transition. My other cats have no trouble.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Our rotation basically is chicken every other day, and another meat in between. It's been working for a long time.
Every household is different, so do what works. Rotations are always preferable, however you can manage them.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Agree with what everyone has said. I often feed two proteins per day, one relatively high fat (beef) and the other turkey or chicken breast or thigh--whichever protein that was on sale at the time I bought it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mannie3moon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the advice! I'm watching how she reacts to less frequent protein changes and following her lead. So far, she doesn't mind!