How often to bath a kitten?

helsic

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dear fellow cat lovers! 

We all know cats don't particularly like water and taking a shower can be traumatic but sometimes is quite necessary.

I have two kittens that I rescued from the street since they were 2 weeks old, so since they didn't grow up with a queen, they are clueless about many stuff cats do... including cleaning their selves!

So today I bath them with kitten shampoo and warm water, they behave pretty well, they didn't fight, scratch or growl while in the water (I got so surprised actually lol)

I heard people saying they often bath their cats and other people saying they never do it.

So how about you guys? 

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How often to bathe a cat or kitten depends on how often it is needed.  If your kittens have not yet learned to bathe themselves and are getting dirty or have leftover flea dirt, then proper bathing is necessary.  Some purebred kittens are bathed as often as weekly if they are being shown.  Obviously using a gentle shampoo and rinsing thoroughly is important.  If it is their bottoms they neglect, then you can do a little spot bathing whenever necessary, and/or you can keep all natural Huggies around for a whick wipe from time to time.  Your kittens will probably learn to bathe themselves as they get older.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When we first brought Mooch & Noodles home I bathed them because DH is allergic to cats.  I know a girl who bathed her cat regularly and DH could go in her house with no issues with his allergies.  I think after they were a year or so old I stopped with the baths.  Over time; DH has reacted less to our girls.  (They still don't get to be on our bed and DH is good about washing his hands and what not).  

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just want to reiterate the non-toxic baby wipe suggestion. With a long haired heathen like Beans, they were my go-to product when she was a kitten. Sometimes, she wad just too dirty and needed a bath. It was a literal nightmare to bathe her, too. For some reason she wasn't affected by scruffing, so it was just a soapy wrestling match.

Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

helsic

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kittens are around 2 months and since I had to bath them a lot when they were 3 weeks old because they couldn't clean their own buttocks and because they got infested with fleas, they are no longer scared of the water. So at least is not very difficult to wash them. I'm also an allergic person and I noticed that after the bath I get less symptoms