How Often Should We Clean The Litter Box?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds okay, since you put the whole 40 pound box in there. I use a 40 pound box every month too, but I do it a little different because my litterbox won't hold the whole 40 pound box at once. So I fill it about half-way, then add about an 8oz cup of litter everyday after I scoop. Then after a month, the 40 pound box is gone and I dump and scrub with dish soap, and put all new litter.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have been wondering about litter box maintenance. Currently I have a 45 gallon storage bin that has been converted into a litter box (complete with air filtration). It contains close to 40lbs of litter (Dr. Elsey's RR) and is used by a single cat. I only scoop it out every few days or so. Roughly once a month I dump the bin and clean it with alcohol/vinegar and then water and light dish soap. It seems like I have been doing things wrong.
I would scoop daily but that's all I'd do differently. I don't want to risk someone going outside the box because they aren't clean enough for them. I think it's partially that they are both a little older now (almost 13) but we have had someone go in the dirty laundry a couple times (which was sitting outside the laundry room where their litter box is) and on DD's beanbag chair. I had to toss that because someone did it again even after cleaning with Nature's Miracle (and it was leather so it didn't soak in). I can't really blame them for not wanting to use a dirty bathroom. (I know I wouldn't.) Of course we have 2 large, deep boxes for 2 cats. So it definitely needs it after 24 hours. Sometimes I scoop extra if I'm doing laundry or notice it's been used a good bit already.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't agree at all with Jackson Galaxy. I feel like that isn't completely hygienic, especially since cats' noses are quite sensitive. I tend to scoop either once a day or every two days and do a thorough cleaning about once a month. So far, I've had no problems with my cat going outside his box (aside from one accident that was my fault).

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What litter do you guys use?
i use the fresh step with febreze and i scoop once a day, and clean the litter box every friday or sunday (so once a week) but i wanted to try a different litter that wont stick to her paws so much, so she doesnt track it all over the house. i got a mat for when she steps out of the litter box it helps a little but not completely.

and i also clean the litter with lysol whipes and then wipe it dry with bounty, is that okay ?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't use Lysol around cats. I make my own wipes with vinegar/water in a spray bottle, spray it on a paper towel, it's just like a wipe. For litter I use the 40 pound box of store brands like Special Kitty from Walmart, Paws & Claws from Tractor Supply, and Berkley & Jensen from BJ's. When I have a coupon I also sometimes use Scoop Away or Arm & Hammer Double Duty from BJ's. If you keep the litter deep enough, at least 3 inches, it shouldn't stick to her paws. But if you keep it that deep, you probably wouldn't want to dump it every week, that would get expensive.

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't use Lysol around cats. I make my own wipes with vinegar/water in a spray bottle, spray it on a paper towel, it's just like a wipe. For litter I use the 40 pound box of store brands like Special Kitty from Walmart, Paws & Claws from Tractor Supply, and Berkley & Jensen from BJ's. When I have a coupon I also sometimes use Scoop Away or Arm & Hammer Double Duty from BJ's. If you keep the litter deep enough, at least 3 inches, it shouldn't stick to her paws. But if you keep it that deep, you probably wouldn't want to dump it every week, that would get expensive.
oh my boyfriend said lysol wipes are fine, can I use the wipes that are made for cleaning the litter box, I have the smell of vinegar :( I can't stand it. and I also use lysol wipes for countertops and table is that okay?

I usually add about 2-3 inches of litter into her box and add a couple more scoops in the middle of the week when its getting less because I scoop it out, so should I just add more inches and keep adding more litter more often. I get the 40lb bag of fresh step with febreze because we have a small apartment and I don't want any odor, and it seems to be working great. but now I have read that grass litter or more natural is better since it doesn't have that much dust so I was thinking of giving it a try, but just don't know what kind. Chloe is my first cat so I am learning everything as I go.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm quite careful where I use Lysol wipes. If Ruby throws up, I'll use paper towels to clean up, then Lysol wipes to disinfect. But then I use wet paper towels to wipe away any Lysol residue then thoroughly dry all the liquid off the floor, or blot up as much of the liquid as possible if carpet.

I use Petkin Litter Box wipes for cleaning the litter box. I get them at Walmart, and though they are more expensive than Lysol wipes, I feel safe using them.

motylek motylek Since you are a new "parent" (congrats BTW) here's a few articles that may be helpful:
First-time Cat Owner's Guide
The Litterbox: What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're keeping it deep enough, it should last at least 2 weeks. I only dump the litter once a month, then I wash it out with dish soap. I just use wipes to touch it up when Maggie pees on the side of the box. The vinegar and water mix doesn't smell bad, it's diluted. You could probably use Nature's Miracle enzyme spray instead. I wouldn't use Lysol.

mannie3moon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I used to wash my cat's litterbox every month or so because the litter I used back then would build up on the bottom of the pan and become yucky. It wasn't a total pain, but life's been easier since switching to Arm n Hammer, which doesn't stick to the box at all. I wash her litterbox ever few months or so, and she doesn't seem to mind.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve created a very fussy cat and she will take a peep through door/ flap of her box and only if it looks clean she will go in . I have ultra clumping litter so put disposable gloves on and pick the clump out once a day and put in doggy poop bags . I always scoop number two as soon as she goes as I hate the thought of it laying in the box - plus it’s bigger and smells now she is older !

Franlow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I only have one cat who uses a litterbox - the other 2 use my toilet! Usually a queue first thing in the morning.
Poppy had radioactive iodine treatment in November last year, so, after she was no longer radioactive, I gave the tray a full steam clean. I hadn't cleaned out the tray fully for the previous year - I scoop twice a day, whilst she was hyperthyroid it was 2-3 times at least. Now she is on raw, she only poohs every other day & it barely smells. I never let the depth run down too much, so, when she wees in it, it doesn't soak down to the bottom & scoops in one solid lump. I use ultra clumping litter. The only reason she doesn't use the loo, is, the poor love has arthritis in the base of her tail - she was kicked & abused by her previous owner.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve created a very fussy cat and she will take a peep through door/ flap of her box and only if it looks clean she will go in . ... I always scoop number two as soon as she goes as I hate the thought of it laying in the box ...
I think I have a fussy cat, too, daisyd daisyd ! Part of the diligence my husband and I have in scooping her box pretty much whenever she uses it is a result of us having to put her in crates last year, etc., while she recovered from surgery. We absolutely had to keep the box cleaned at that time since she was in a confined space, and we didn't want the cat to "act out" by peeing/pooping anywhere other than the litter box. Now I suppose our cat has us trained into keeping a clean box.
:goldstar:

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only have one cat who uses a litterbox - the other 2 use my toilet! Usually a queue first thing in the morning.
Poppy had radioactive iodine treatment in November last year, so, after she was no longer radioactive, I gave the tray a full steam clean. I hadn't cleaned out the tray fully for the previous year - I scoop twice a day, whilst she was hyperthyroid it was 2-3 times at least. Now she is on raw, she only poohs every other day & it barely smells. I never let the depth run down too much, so, when she wees in it, it doesn't soak down to the bottom & scoops in one solid lump. I use ultra clumping litter. The only reason she doesn't use the loo, is, the poor love has arthritis in the base of her tail - she was kicked & abused by her previous owner.
How an earth can you train them to use your toilet ? How do they balance ? I’d be afraid they would fall in the toilet

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, depends really. I do dump the litter twice a month. I wash the boxes with dish soap and then rinse, spray with 1:100 bleach solution and then rinse again and let air dry. Refill with non clumping litter and baking soda. I top off the boxes as needed and then dump as needed.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've used scoopable, unscented clay litter for many years with great results. Experts say cats prefer a substrate that is sandy in texture, which this is. Our brand is SoPhresh and we get it shipped to our door by DrsFosterSmith.com. I keep the boxes nice and full and scoop around 5 times a day. Full cleaning is done on an as necessary basis and I agree with Jackson Galaxy on this subject.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Like JG said, I only clean the box every 6 months and scoop 2x a day. 4 cats. My mom said she cannot tell I have 4 cats in my apt. I do not use liners. I use a 70% non stick litter box and wipes for litter box and scoop found at pet store.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, depends really. I do dump the litter twice a month. I wash the boxes with dish soap and then rinse, spray with 1:100 bleach solution and then rinse again and let air dry. Refill with non clumping litter and baking soda. I top off the boxes as needed and then dump as needed.
Baking soda is harmful to cats..

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't remember why but that baking soda is different. I'll have to check it out again