How often should I take my cat with very early kidney issues?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took her after 3 months and she is still the same. Vets office told me to bring her in every 3-6 months. All he commented was that her kidneys are very small but that she has a lot of muscle which he said is a good thing. He advised me to help her to lose more weight.

Do i go at 3 or 6 months?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think that really depends on how deep your pockets are. It's pretty expensive to get that blood work done, so every three months would really add up. I've had three kidney cats, and we didn't get them tested too often because we could pretty much tell how they were doing by how they acted. Besides, at that time, the only "treatment" was a kidney diet, which none of them liked, and sub-q fluids, which isn't really needed until later stages, and you can tell when they are in later stages by how they act (loss of appetite, morning spit ups, drinking a huge amount of water, sleeping alot, etc)

You could always contact the Vet and ask if waiting until the 6 month marker can do any harm. In other words, if the numbers get worse, what can you do anyway? Or could you be doing something NOW (or maybe you already are?)

Are you familiar with this site? Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ontact the Vet and ask if waiting until the 6 month marker can do any harm. In other words, if the numbers get worse, what can yo
Yes, I have visited that site. The only thing my vet suggested is to increase her water and to start giving her some supplements. RX Renal Feline. That didnt seem to make much difference in 3 months. I am also giving her fish oil, which I read online is good for the kidneys. I also home-cook her food so I know she's eating food that won't hurt her kidneys. I am not sure what else I should be doing. I went to that forum a few times and I got so discouraged because everyone there seems to disagree about what actually helps and I just start to panic. Some seem to think that its inevitable and not much can be done. I havent been back to that site since.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I never went to the support group either. Just the website for research. I didn't even know there was a support group there!

Anyway, perhaps the supplements you are giving ARE helping since she hasn't gotten any worse. Think positively here. You are correct in that there is no cure, but kidney cats can actually live a long time, with good quality of life. Not saying that will happen since I don't know the circumstances or your cat, but it's possible. All three of mine lived for three years after diagnosis, and none were diagnosed in early stages. Also, none were ever on any supplements. I tried with the last one, but she wouldn't have anything to do with them. Of course, the cats who weren't sick loved them :rolleyes2:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone! Ill try the website again. I'm going Kitty gets more than 3 more treats years. She's only 11 years old. i have ocd and every time i research asked ckd i start panicking from everything i read online. I start reading about cats suffering before they pass and i break down crying.

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone! Ill try the website again. I'm going Kitty gets more than 3 more treats years. She's only 11 years old. i have ocd and every time i research asked ckd i start panicking from everything i read online. I start reading about cats suffering before they pass and i break down crying.
You're going through a stressful time but so is your kitty, hang in there.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I was successful in keeping a "kidney cat" going for quite some time by giving subcutaneous IV hydration a few times a week. Eventually they go downhill. Steamed chicken and liver is good too. 💕😽