How often should I brush my cat's teeth?

eliot'smom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And does anyone have any tips on how to do it? I have a feeling that Pan is going to be less than keen on the idea....thanks!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I must be a bad cat mom, I have never brushed Trouts teeth

I figure the vet will tell me if I have to start doing it?? Her teeth look good to me

Good luck with that!

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Eliot'sMom

And does anyone have any tips on how to do it? I have a feeling that Pan is going to be less than keen on the idea....thanks!
Working your cat up to brushing his teeth should take place over a few months. Start by getting a cat toothpaste, our cats really like the poultry and seafood C.E.T. flavors, and let him lick a little off of your finger every day. Act as if it's a treat, and do it at the same time every day for a month or so. Once he's used to this happening, start rubbing a little of the toothpaste onto his front teeth every day. The toothpastes will still be cleaning when you are just rubbing it on, as opposed to brushing with the finger brush as they are enzymatic cleaners. So again, take your time, a month or two if it takes that. Then when he's comfortable (or reasonably so) move to brushing all of his teeth. Make it so he thinks he's getting a treat, this way it's easy on both of you and only takes a minute. It's important to do it every day (despite those who say it needs to be done 3-4 times a week) as plaque hardens within 48 hours.

Some people never brush their cats teeth and never have an issue, but others get to be 4 or older and have terrible teeth problems. It seems to be a genetic trait, but regular brushing will lessen dental problems in the future. Good luck!

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
THIS may help you.

Maybe Pan might want to watch...let us know if she did as well as the "actor"!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the CET Poultry flavor pet toothpaste, and all three of my girls LOVE it! I do Cleo's about 3 or 4 times a week. Maggie & Lola don't like my finger in their mouths, and are a lot harder to do, so they only get done once or twice a week. Cleo is almost 8 years old, and her teeth look absolutely pristine! Maggie is 7 and Lola is 5, and their teeth look great too. I've been brushing their teeth (with toothpaste on my finger, not a toothbrush) for about 3 or 4 years now.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only brush Kingston's teeth. I started because he has stomatitus but now that I know how to teach a cat I will probably brush all future cats teeth. I brush his teeth every day. I started when he was 11 months old. I really didn't think it was going to be possible but he surprised me.

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I must be a bad cat mom, I have never brushed Trouts teeth

I figure the vet will tell me if I have to start doing it?? Her teeth look good to me

Good luck with that!
I'm with you on that. Never had a problem so never thought to brush them. *knock on wood*

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eliot'smom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just brought it up because my vet asked if I had been brushing his teeth....and I never even thought of it. I guess it can't hurt to do...where can I get the CET toothpaste? Pet store? Thanks!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two of my cats have renal failure. Putting them under anesthesia for a dental would be very hard on their kidneys. I opted to start with the tooth brushing fairly young, to try to prevent plaque buildup and the need for dentals. Also, plaque and poor oral hygiene can negatively affect their already compromised renal function. I'm just trying to be as pro-active in their care as possible!

My vet carries the CET toothpaste in their office. I've tried to find it online, but haven't had any luck.

I volunteered in my vet's office for a couple of years on my day off. I used to help my vet do dentals, and learned how to scale teeth. I had the purchasing office of the O.R. (where I work) order me a tool to scale my cat's teeth. Cleo is a breeze, and of course, Maggie & Lola are less easy, but I still can get them done. Since I've started being more aggressive about the toothbrushing, their teeth don't need to be scaled nearly as often. I can usually chip the tiny calculus off with my fingernail, instead of needing the tool. The CET toothpaste is really a great product! It definitely prevents the calculus from bonding to the tooth, and allows it to be removed easily!

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Eliot'sMom

I have three cats who get their gums treated every other day. I stopped using pet toothpaste and now use Oxyfresh pet gel. It really keeps the gum inflammation down and can be applied with my finger. I'd been brushing for 8 years and the gel works, IMHO, better than toothpaste.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clpeters23

I stopped using pet toothpaste and now use Oxyfresh pet gel. It really keeps the gum inflammation down and can be applied with my finger. I'd been brushing for 8 years and the gel works, IMHO, better than toothpaste.
Oxyfresh gel is what I use also. And it really does help keep the inflammation down.

bex3d

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two 17year old cats and they never had any dental issues. But my kitty that is close to two years old had really bad breath but I didn't think to look at his teeth till recently. He had some bad plaque build up and the first times I brushed his teeth his gums would bleed (now the gums are much better). I don't know if everyone has to brush their kitties teeth, but I would make it a habit to check out their teeth regularly. Especially if your kitty is getting soft food. I did pick up some greenies and I know a lot of owners just feed that to their furry friends regularly.

bex3d

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A veterinarian who writes for the LA Times recommends brushing your kitties teeth every other day, never with human toothpaste, always with special pet toothpaste.

Last edited by a moderator: