How often should cats be fed on primarily canned food?

mysterylover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Let me start by describing my work situation.  I work from home, which many would say is a plus in feeding cats that get scheduled feeding.  Unfortunately, I have my own business, and my schedule can be crazy, including long hours with deadlines.  My own daily schedule varies every day, including when I get to bed and get up.  Despite this, my cats have done very well for 5 years.

Feeding time for four cats (3 siblings who eat together in one room but must have the meal divided and served with 10-minute breaks in between to keep on of them from the scarf and barf plan and then one who eats in a separate room) takes about 35-40 minutes right now.  I am the only person who will feed the cats (even though my 23-year-old son and my husband do live here and love the cats).

Lately, one of the cats has been acting as if he is going to vomit or actually vomiting shortly after eating, and even up to an hour or more afterwards might throw up once or twice.  This just started lately when I have been extra busy at work and have put off feeding them for several hours.  (I know, bad kitty mom!) 

I  have been doing scheduled feeds about 10-12 hours apart, but honestly, I think 2 of the cats who are more active are too thin and could eat more, but one of them (not the one I am referring to with this situation) vomits if I feed more in one feeding than I currently do.

Anyway, I have read anything from recommendations on feeding twice a day  12 hours apart to feeding as frequently as every 6 hours with smaller portions.  How often do most people feed their cats who are on scheduled wet food feeds?

I am setting an alarm today to feed them at least a snack (like half a can per cat or so) 6 hours from the first feeding and then will feed again 6-7 hours later again.  A smaller feeding will not take as long or interrupt too badly, and hopefully, this will help, but I would still like some input on how often is good for cats to eat.  Also, I am wondering if most cats can actually tolerate a 3 ounce can all at one feeding or if maybe that is a bit much for some cats.  Like, if my 8-pound cat should eat 2-1/2 cans at 3 ounces a can per day of  his food based on calories, is it maybe too much for them to try to eat 1-1/4 cans in 2 feedings?  Would it be better to feed like 3/4 of a can 3 times a day?  By the way, my cats are fine with reheating leftover cat food in the microwave, so partial cans are no issue at all.

Foods fed are Nutro, Nature's Variety Instinct, and Weruva.  They have had no new flavors in a long time, and the other cats are fine, so it is doubtful it is the food.

The cat who is not a sibling is a relatively new addition (adopted from a relative about a month or so ago), so I do know my cats are adjusting, but we did slow introductions, and we are very happy with the way they interact at this stage (no blood shed and just the occasional chase or swat).  The new addition is eating in a separate room and is not allowed out until the 3 siblings are finished.

Thank you for your ideas on helping Little One enjoy his feeding time better! 

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
None of my personal cats are on a wet-only diet; however, we have 9 cats in the rescue that are (all due to food intolerances/IBD issues.) All but one of these is currently fed Nature's Variety Instinct.

These cars are fed twice daily. I try to feed them at 12-hr increments; however, there are times when they have gone 14 hrs between feeding.

All but 4 get fed 3 oz in the morning (the other 4 get 2.75 oz). Nighttime is the same, except one gets fed a full 5.5 oz can (he's a Bengal mix (16 lbs) and requires more calories to keep the weight on.)

Everyone tolerates their schedule ok; but, they all would much prefer 3 feeding per day.

For your kitty that vomits, have you tried Pepcid? For some cats, going too long between feedings can cause stomach acid to build up and this can lead to vomiting. I'll be curious to hear if 3 meals helps this particular kitty.

As for the meal size, I don't know of any reason (other than medical) why an adult cat's stomach wouldn't hold 3 oz of food at a time. I've had 3-4 mo old kittens eat that much at a meal.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also work at home and we also feed our cats only wet foods: they get three raw meals and two canned feedings a day.

Early Morning: raw food, meal

Late Morning: canned food, small meal (1/2 a small can per cat)

Afternoon: raw food, snack

Evening: raw food, meal

Bedtime: canned food, meal (1/2 a small can per cat)

One of the reasons we feed so many meals is that one cat tends to vomit if she's not fed often enough. She also tends toward pigginess and has a tendency to scarf/barf if she goes too long between meals. The small meals work well for us and, yes, they require less monitoring than the larger meals! Our cats are small--about eight pounds each--but they're big eaters.

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a stay at home mom and my cats eat only wet food. The two more sedentary ones get fed twice a day and around 3 oz at each meal, so a total of about 6 oz per day give or take a few. 

My more active younger cat gets fed 3x per day and consumes a total of about 8 oz per day.

My young cat used to be picky and a nibbler, when he was eating kibble, but eventually he learned to eat a meal at a sitting and now eats most canned foods with gusto. He now eats his 3 oz meals very nicely. So my schedule today for my younger cat was basically a can of Tiki chicken for breakfast, a can of Tiki sardines for lunch, and a couple ounces of Friskies for dinner.

My other two cats get an early morning breakfast and a late afternoon dinner typically, though I don't adhere to a rigid schedule and often dinner is later. 

Last edited:

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't currently work. My cats get 3 meals a day, but my older cat eats really small meals and vomits when he goes too long without food sometimes get more like 4 or 5 depending on the day. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mysterylover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all of the replies.  So far, the smaller feeding has not brought on any signs of nausea, heaving, or vomiting.  Hopefully, if I feed them the last meal close to when I am heading to bed, they will not be that hungry before I wake to feed them again.

It does sound like there are several people who find that at least 3 feedings works for their cats.

I do remember that, when my cats were on more dry during the transition to mostly wet, I used to reach in the kibble bag and give them a small handful between meals.  One reason I stopped doing that was that we adopted a relative's cat, and so far, the only kibble he will touch is Science Diet Indoor.  It is not grain free.  It took me a month to get him on a wet food diet, and I worry that giving him his old addictive kibble will ruin his zeal for dinnertime. I actually think he is not only addicted to that kibble but also allergic to the grain, since he has acne spots in that area between the eye and the ear that seem to itch.  It is much better in the short time he has been grain free.  Oh, and he seems to hate all treats, even Pure Bite Chicken, so if I give those to my cats between meals, he is left out.  I have not tried dipping the Purebites in the gravy from canned yet as a treat for him, but it might be worth a try to get him actually at least eat one and realize what he is missing.  Even my husband would give the cats treats if I asked if they were late for a meal, but I have to have something for them all.  I welcome suggestions for a cat who thought nothing but his dry SD was food a month ago and now is only eating limited variety in canned.  Funny, I dropped a corn tortilla chip crumb on the floor, and before I could get to it, this cat had eaten it--like he needs corn if he is allergic to grain.....  The only treats I have offered him were grain free, so that may be why he turns them down.  Can they seriously smell corn, wheat, etc. In the food?

Thank you all for your time and input! 

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't work outside of the home either... I usually feed my cats 3 times per day but at times have fed 4-6 smaller meals.

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've found that getting the kibble out of the house eventually solved the picky canned food eater problem for me. My cat seems to eat much better when he knows that the kibble's not an option.

I even feed my foster cat all canned, mainly so that there will be no kibble around for my residents to steal.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Funny, I dropped a corn tortilla chip crumb on the floor, and before I could get to it, this cat had eaten it--like he needs corn if he is allergic to grain.....  The only treats I have offered him were grain free, so that may be why he turns them down.  Can they seriously smell corn, wheat, etc. In the food?
Yes they can! One of our cats will chew on bread through the bags (we now store it in a closed cabinet) and try to eat corn chips, and both of them will hoover up crumbs that fall on the floor. I agree with @Crazy4Strays about getting dry food out of the house. Our cats knew where the closed plastic container of kibble was even months after we'd stopped feeding it to them.

Do you already feed your cats Nutro Natural Choice? Lots of picky cats seem to like the chunky chicken and ours also like the minced chicken and sliced turkey. Maybe those would appeal to your kibble addict, too! Weruva and Soulistic chicken/pumpkin pouches and cans seem popular with a lot of cats, too, though I think they're a bit too carby to feed often.

lvmygrdn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I work from home. I have 3 cats, one older and two that are around 1-1/2. All are rescues. The older one is about 15 - 16 pounds. He is a big cat and we call him the dude. Anyway, I feed 3 meals. I find if I feed two, the older one will scarf his food and then vomit or he will vomit because of an empty stomach. I feed an all wet diet. Some brands have lower calories so I keep that in mind. I split a 5.5 ounce can 3 ways (or two small cans) in the morning, lunch, and dinner. Before bed I split a 3 oz can 3 ways. When I adopted them they were on kibble and it took a long time to switch especially my older guy. I switched to all wet as it was recommended by our cat only vet. She was not against kibble but said she recommends wet especially for male cats. I feed a rotation of a different brands.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all of the replies.  So far, the smaller feeding has not brought on any signs of nausea, heaving, or vomiting.  Hopefully, if I feed them the last meal close to when I am heading to bed, they will not be that hungry before I wake to feed them again.

It does sound like there are several people who find that at least 3 feedings works for their cats.

I do remember that, when my cats were on more dry during the transition to mostly wet, I used to reach in the kibble bag and give them a small handful between meals.  One reason I stopped doing that was that we adopted a relative's cat, and so far, the only kibble he will touch is Science Diet Indoor.  It is not grain free.  It took me a month to get him on a wet food diet, and I worry that giving him his old addictive kibble will ruin his zeal for dinnertime. I actually think he is not only addicted to that kibble but also allergic to the grain, since he has acne spots in that area between the eye and the ear that seem to itch.  It is much better in the short time he has been grain free.  Oh, and he seems to hate all treats, even Pure Bite Chicken, so if I give those to my cats between meals, he is left out.  I have not tried dipping the Purebites in the gravy from canned yet as a treat for him, but it might be worth a try to get him actually at least eat one and realize what he is missing.  Even my husband would give the cats treats if I asked if they were late for a meal, but I have to have something for them all.  I welcome suggestions for a cat who thought nothing but his dry SD was food a month ago and now is only eating limited variety in canned.  Funny, I dropped a corn tortilla chip crumb on the floor, and before I could get to it, this cat had eaten it--like he needs corn if he is allergic to grain.....  The only treats I have offered him were grain free, so that may be why he turns them down.  Can they seriously smell corn, wheat, etc. In the food?

Thank you all for your time and input!  :)
My girl vomited on a wet/dry diet. I switched to wet (dry is now only tiny snack). It is all grain free and she totally stopped vomiting[emoji]128576[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️

sherit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I could not help but reply to your post..

My new kitten from a shelter was fed Purina Kitten chow with corn in it

I took it and put in a bag to return to the store..due to the corn

and she tore into the bag..all cats I  have had are drawn to corn

as well as myself...in human eating..

If I buy something that is grain free they do not want it

I do have one older cat who just tried wilderness grain free dry food

and he loves it...the other cat will not touch it..

The youngest wants fancy feast canned food only..or if she could get the

Purina kitten chow with corn and what ever is in it she loves it...

SheriT

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I could not help but reply to your post..

My new kitten from a shelter was fed Purina Kitten chow with corn in it

I took it and put in a bag to return to the store..due to the corn

and she tore into the bag..all cats I  have had are drawn to corn

as well as myself...in human eating..

If I buy something that is grain free they do not want it

I do have one older cat who just tried wilderness grain free dry food

and he loves it...the other cat will not touch it..

The youngest wants fancy feast canned food only..or if she could get the

Purina kitten chow with corn and what ever is in it she loves it...

SheriT
My theory is that corn heavy kibble is basically like corn chips. I'm overall a pretty healthy eater, but I have a tendency to eat a lot of corn chips if they're around.