Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

How Often Is It Okay To Feed My Cat Pumpkin?

Discussion in 'Cat Nutrition' started by catalinacat, Jul 12, 2019.

1. catalinacat

catalinacat Thread Starter TCS Member Young Cat

Oct 17, 2017
    My cat loves pumpkin. I give her like a tablespoon of puree of it every once in a while and seems to be good for digestion according to articles, but I don't know how often is too often?
    Can she get too much Vitamin A if it's given too often and cause problems?
    Thanks in advance for any advice!

movinintime purraised this.

2. cheesycats

cheesycats TCS Member Alpha Cat

Jan 29, 2017
    Indiana
    My childhood cat ate a teaspoon a day of raw pumpkin for the last ten+ years of his life for constipation issues. He lived to 21 so I don’t think it’s that big of an issue. It’s good fiber for them.

catalinacat and movinintime purraised this.

3. Kieka

Kieka Snowshoe Servant Staff Member Forum Helper

Sep 6, 2016
    Southern California
    A teaspoon a day is fine for most cats. Just keep an eye on the litter box and adjust if needed. And make sure you are using just pumpkin purée (not pie filling). You could get the really big cans and freeze it in teaspoon portions to save money (or make it at home).

4. movinintime

movinintime TCS Member Young Cat

Jun 9, 2019
    I use ONLY Organic cans that are BPA free. Just my preference but I error on safety & feed a tiny bit ever other day in morning in raw food. Any good Organic brand is better than store bought regular non-Organic cans, I think. I'd avoid BPA if you can & try to go Organic to insure a bit more safety in food.

catalinacat purraised this.

5. Libby.

Libby. TCS Member Young Cat

Jul 12, 2019
    Pumpkin contains beta carotene as a precurser to vitamin A. Cats don't have the ability to convert beta carotene to vitamin A. They must have vitamin A from an animal source to utilize it. So you don't have to worry about your cat getting to much vitamin A from pumpkin. They can and do absorb the carotene which is antioxidant but it is excreted out via urine.

Cats Absorb β-Carotene, but It Is Not Converted to Vitamin A