How often do you scoop/empty and wash your litterbox

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're interested in getting a professional's take on Litter and Litter Pans - here is Dr. Pierson's blog and her info:  http://www.catinfo.org/?link=litterbox

I don't have a problem with using bleach - I just make sure the box is thoroughly rinsed and then dry before I put new litter into the pan.  I actually take advantage of our hot desert sun to dry the pan, too. :)

As I was reading Dr. Pierson's information I saw that she now has a picture of a tote with a hole cut in it, similar to what I do.  The tote size that she pictures is 19.5" wide x 29.5" long x 19" high ( it is a 39 gallon container.  I have one for the outside enclosure that is that large, but the totes inside the house are about  22" high x 171/2" long and 15" wide - probably closer to the 18 gallon tote size.  I also cut the hole on the longer side when the space allows for it.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

If you're interested in getting a professional's take on Litter and Litter Pans - here is Dr. Pierson's blog and her info:  http://www.catinfo.org/?link=litterbox

I don't have a problem with using bleach - I just make sure the box is thoroughly rinsed and then dry before I put new litter into the pan.  I actually take advantage of our hot desert sun to dry the pan, too. :)

As I was reading Dr. Pierson's information I saw that she now has a picture of a tote with a hole cut in it, similar to what I do.  The tote size that she pictures is 19.5" wide x 29.5" long x 19" high ( it is a 39 gallon container.  I have one for the outside enclosure that is that large, but the totes inside the house are about  22" high x 171/2" long and 15" wide - probably closer to the 18 gallon tote size.  I also cut the hole on the longer side when the space allows for it.
Thank you so much for Dr. Pierson's blog.  It was so informative.  I loved the video on scooping.  I have tried so many litter scoops and nothing works well for me.  Her tips and tricks are awesome.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one of those large plastic under the bed kind of storage boxes for Angel. He's a long boy, & tended to "hiney hang" over the side of even the largest litter boxes bought. 

I scoop after he goes (given time to clump) so, that's about 2-3 times a day, depending on if it's a poopy day, as I call it. He tends to go every other day like clockwork.

I also have the hand vac mounted on the wall in that area. it's great because after I sweep up the litter crumbs, I just vac them up. I haven't used a dust pan sense I've had it!

I sift through pretty thoroughly after I have scooped the clump to make sure none is left behind. I completely dump the whole thing every other week to clean it. I live in an apartment, so don't have an outside hose,

so I put it in the tub, spray it out w/ the handheld, & then spray it down w/ bleach water. I let it set for 20-30 minutes, then rinse w/ very hot water.

In between,  if he has dripped on the side, I just clean it off w/ my vinegar, lemon, & water spray I make. (w/ a paper towel).

Oh, I also have a box for the poopy. I buy the doggie plastic bags at Walmart & use those to put what I scoop in. (I got tired of the grocery bags having holes) 

The pee pee ones go in the reg. trash, I don't smell them once in the bag,

but the poopy bags go into a box. I saved a 10lb Epsom salt plastic container, & use that as the poopy box. (AKA diaper pale, LOL!)  Then, when I take the trash out, I grab the poopy bags too.

I've never had a cat pee smell, but recently, only when I'm near it, the little rug outside the box is starting to get that, (from any "fluffy butt" drips
I also made the little hanger for the bags out of wire.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
 I never seen pick up bags before. Where can i get them ? :)

Have you checked out Petsmart or Amazon?  

Personally, we buy a box of "T-Shirt" bags (1000) from a local discount store called "Smart 'N Final".  I can hang a group up and just pull one off. 

lianaspoken

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I keep my litter boxes in the garage and all three of my cats are indoor/outdoor cats. I do scoop both of them everyday but because they are outside for a good portion of the day there is not much in them. I only scrub the pans and replace the litter maybe every 2 to 4 weeks. I guess the need to change the litter changes with the seasons; if its cold and rainy then they are going to use it more and i will change it every other week. 

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 2 cats and scoop 2 large litter pans a minimum of 2 times a day and sometimes up to 4 times a day.  I use clumping litter and do a full empty and clean once every 3-4 weeks, depending.