How often do you play with your cat?

hannahe01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m just curious! I play with mine for about 30 minutes a day or more. Not consecutively but I do try and play with him as much as possible! It’s hard for me to get him to run around though. He’s more of a “drag a wand toy under the bath mat” type of cat.
How much do you guys play with yours?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Never enough! If your cat likes to chase things on the floor the purrfect leather bouncer is my cats fav on Amazon. Not the most attractive but it will last for years. A good toy to get to gey his attention

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I play around 3-4 times a day (sometimes 5), usually before meals or treats (though sometimes Jum will demonstrate she wants to play by being a bit naughty, so we'll sometimes have unplanned play sessions), with each session being anywhere from 5 to 30 min long. I generally try to get at least an hour of play in a day, especially as it's a bit difficult to get Jum, my younger cat, to play, as my older boy, Chip, is more toy-motivated than she is. Once he's more tired out, she gets her chance to pounce without him trying to interfere as much :>

Katdog

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
2- 10 min sessions before breakfast and dinner meals, but I don’t think it’s enough. Sometimes it’ll be 15 mins but yeah, I’d like to do more but just so busy. After dinner and around lunch, she’ll get rub downs from my partner for a good 30-45 mins so does that count as okay? I’ll feel better if it does, lol. But yeah def more physical play time needed

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
i play and snuggle my girls as much as they will let me . they get pets daily and treats every other day or so

Micaela227

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Once or twice a day, for like 15 minutes at the time, or when I notice that one of them wants to play but the others doesn't feel like playing at the moment. I have three, so they usually just play with each other and don't pay me a lot of attention. Sometimes I tie a wool yarn (is that how you call it?) on one of them (on their collar, but I'm always paying attention so they doesn't get trap anywhere) for a little while and they run around chasing it.

BeaG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Week days - twice a day - before and after work. How long - depends on cat's mood :p sometimes 30 min, sometimes over and hour - but that would be in the evening. Before work time is limited - 15 to 30 min. Weekends and days I'm at home I try to play few times more throughout the day for about 15 min each time.

BeaG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Week days - twice a day - before and after work. How long - depends on cat's mood :p sometimes 30 min, sometimes over and hour - but that would be in the evening. Before work time is limited - 15 to 30 min. Weekends and days I'm at home I try to play few times more throughout the day for about 15 min each time.
Just need to add - my cat is only 7.5 months old. His energy level has already gone down a bit from what it was up to last month.

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would say not often enough. Having three cats, two under a year old and the other not much older, I tend to rely on them playing amongst themselves. We have cat trees, tunnels, boxes, cat shelves, packing paper, toys everywhere, it looks like a cat daycare around here. One cat likes to play fetch so we do that every day. I would like to play with them more but it is hard to play with all three at the same time. One will either dominate the play or even worse, no one will play and they all just keep looking at each other to see who will make the move and no one does. If we try to play with one cat and shut the others in a room, the ones in the room get distracted about what’s going on in the main room and start scratching at the door, and the cat in the main room wants to get with it’s buddies in the other room, so I’ve mostly given up.

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, when we had an only kitten we tried to play with her 30 min a day each between my partner and I + a walk outside once a day. Now there's two kittens and a lot of play with each other instead. Still can get a good 15-30 min play session in 1 - 2x a day with the younger one, because she LOVES the wand toys. Sometimes they'll just look really bored and I have a ton to do in virtual school world, I can put a roll of paper towels down and they go crazy - jumping and sliding on them on the kitchen floor (though I'm always watching to make sure there's no eating paper towels going on - they're pretty good).

Carolina SA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I cannot tell a lie!
I have played using a consistent 'exhaustion' routine depending on age, integration,etc.
As they settle in with each other (and I slack off) it often becomes a game of distraction.
It also depends on their moods!
They watch me with those judging eyes as I give up pretending to be a hooman mouse for their amusement.
It's kinda embarrassing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hannahe01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would say not often enough. Having three cats, two under a year old and the other not much older, I tend to rely on them playing amongst themselves. We have cat trees, tunnels, boxes, cat shelves, packing paper, toys everywhere, it looks like a cat daycare around here. One cat likes to play fetch so we do that every day. I would like to play with them more but it is hard to play with all three at the same time. One will either dominate the play or even worse, no one will play and they all just keep looking at each other to see who will make the move and no one does. If we try to play with one cat and shut the others in a room, the ones in the room get distracted about what’s going on in the main room and start scratching at the door, and the cat in the main room wants to get with it’s buddies in the other room, so I’ve mostly given up.
Lmao. My apartment is covered with toys, a play mat, two cat towers, packing paper, shelves, and a tunnel. I also play with him anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour or more a day total and I STILL worry he’s not getting enough playtime. Sheesh.

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a senior cat who doesn't seem to like to play that much - I'll get about 5-10 minutes once or twice a day of "interactive play" with a piece of string (by far her favorite) or one of those little mice on a want type things, same attachment as "da bird," though she isn't interested in "da bird." I've tried scratchers, the little ball in the saucer thing, battery-powered balls with feathers on them, crinkle balls and mats, and the laser pointer. All except the laser pointer have been met with disinterest at best. Otherwise she seems content to just hang out, snuggle, and watch what the people/birds are doing or play with her catnip squirrel.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
When Carleton was somewhat younger I would come home from work and play with him for up to an hour. Now that he's a gentle older cat my husband and I alternate playing with him until he poops out or lays down which ever comes first. :dizzycat:

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It used to be at least an hour but now I can only get Sango interested in a wand toy for maybe 5 minutes at a time then she’s bored. She has multiple ones but she’s only interested in this one that looks like a bug. I do sometimes just leave the this toy out and she’ll randomly pick it up and meow her head off. I think sometimes she just wants the attention. Oddly enough, she’s gotten super interested in this old hiking boot shoelace that I pulled out one day and she really loves tackling it when I wiggle it around the room.

Maggiez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both of my cats are under 1 year's old and I try my best to play with them multiple times per day, 3 to 5 minutes per session. Depending on my schedule, it can be 4 to 8 sessions per day, whenever they demand. But they play with each other and run around quite a bit these days so that's a relief. When I just adopted them at 6 month's old, I had to play with them almost every hour and they seem like to have endless energy. When they grew up a bit, they chilled a bit and start to spend time to sit at the window sill or catch small bugs when they can find one.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I try every day twice a day before meals, the two older ones (13 and 14 years) it may only last a few minutes. The younger ones- when I try with Mooshoo, Waffles always comes over and wants to play/interfere even though I've played with him first- so it's hit and miss with Moo haha :lol:. But she makes up for it on her own.