How often do you clean the litter box?

allisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I buy "If you care" paper sandwich sized bags and I put one on each hand to get the litter out and then put it into one of the bags with the other on top. They are smaller than sandwich bags and more waxy, The litter scoops just kept smelling so bad so I don't use them anymore, I do it this way. Then I take this small paper bag and put it in the garage white plastic bag that then goes into the bin to be taken away. It's hard to explain, but it works for me and feels cleaner. This was in answer to Segelkatt.

newmomtomisty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a question.

Why did you choose the litter you did?

I'm using walnut kitty litter, It clumps and is supposed to last 3X longer so even though we scoop 2-4 times a day we clean it once a month. There is no odour but now i'm wondering if we are being neglectful.

I do pour the full bag into the pan.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds to me like you're doing fine.  I'm pretty minimalist - as long as the house doesn't smell and the cats are using their boxes, it's all good.

With seven cats, I can't afford the walnut litter, although I would use it in a heartbeat if I could.  I use plain old unscented clay litter - actually Target brand.  Unscented because two of our cats have breathing issues.  The litter I use doesn't produce a lot of dust, although no clay litter can say its dust free.  That's why I like the walnut stuff.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy an 18 kilo bag called Super Mix with long lasting odour control. I scoop the litterbox every two days and replace the mix as required.  The box is quite big and  gets emptied and washed once a month before recharging it with fresh mix. I only have the one cat.  There s absolutely no smell. 

Last edited:

Kiriki48

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have one indoor cat feather, she has a big covered littler box with a filter on top, but we took the flap off. She needs the big covered because she makes sure she got everything covered in there.

I have to be careful of litter dust as I have some lung issues. So I use Fresh step cystrala scoop and stir.
It is by far the best and most economical way for me. With very little dust and very little tracking of the litter. I also have a litter mat.

I scoop and stir every day or two. Usually daily, but there was no smell even when I was sick with Covid and did not clean for a whole week. But I try to do it daily. After I scoop and give it a good stir this distributes the crystals so they absorb urine. I scoop a few hours after she poops so that it didn’t smell when I take it out.

I clean the box out once a month and wash it before I refill. During the month I start with 2 inches and add a bit here and there. They only time it felt really stinking was while I was dumping it after I was sick and had not stirred it enough.
Although I must say the first two years I had no idea I needed to stir it. I just scooped it good everyday.
My cat does not like a dirty box! She let me know.. and I’m very vigilant about it. I will never use clay again.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Twice a day scoop. Once a week full clean with soap and water then new litter. 2 cats, 3 to 4 litter pans, clumping dust free, unscented litter.