How often do you clean the litter box?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
1. What kind of box or boxes you have.
[COLOR=#green]One jumbo covered box (with the flap removed) for one cat - the Europet Bernina Eco Jumbo Litter Box We have two, but Mogli only uses one.[/COLOR]

2. What type of litter do you use (please mention clumping or non-clumping, crystals or other).
[COLOR=#green]Very fine clumping bentonite clay litter, at present Cat & Clean de luxe It has a very faint vanilla scent when wet.[/COLOR]

3. How often do you scoop?
[COLOR=#green]A minimum of three times a day; mostly the box gets checked 4 - 5 times a day.[/COLOR]

4. How often do you have a total change of litter and/or cleaning of the entire box?
[COLOR=#green]The litter is dumped and the box is steam cleaned every three weeks, then refilled with completely fresh litter. [/COLOR]

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One Male Cat: 

Large Size covered  / Small Size covered  / 1 regular deep box open (for temporary transfer, during cleaning).  One box in constant use, other covered box in use during 2-3 day getaways. 

2. What type of litter do you use (please mention clumping or non-clumping, crystals or other).

-Clumping, Multi-cat, unscented - Purina MaxScoop, Walmart - Special Kitty, in addition to pine litter sprinkled on top

-Two - Three times a day (morning & evening & perhaps before bed)

4. How often do you have a total change of litter and/or cleaning of the entire box?

-Cleaning: once per 2 weeks.  

-Complete Change Over:  1 / month. 

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Three of the largest ones I could find at the pet store (no hoods) - one at the top of the 2nd floor staircase, two in my bedroom. (Current record of number of nocturnal covering sweeps and scratches but mostly gestures stands at 132)

Fresh4Life Multi-Cat clumping (my partner for some reason prefers the Walmart brand, but Walmart doesn't put the heavy containers in your car for you and pet stores do). Not too expensive - having a diabetic cat means we go through a lot of litter.

Partner does the big scoop once a day, and I go around to make sure the boxes are clean before I go to bed.

In good weather, I'll do two of the three boxes each week outside with hose and soap and scrubbing. Summer heat makes the litter boxes more pungent.

In bad weather, i.e. frozen hose and snow up to my waist, as little as I can get away with. Old house with old plumbing so we can't let any of the clumping clay go down the pipes without fear of huge plumbing bill, which means cleaning is a little water and soap and a lot of paper towels to soak up.

Last edited:

pisces7386

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

We have one Van Ness Large Framed Litter Pan for one cat and two 6 month kittens (walmart) . It is a regular box with a rim that clips on the top to make the sides taller and come in a bit .

We use Arm and Hammer Ultra Last...Our one cat has become really picky and will poop on the floor if we even mix anything else in. It is a clumping clay litter and I think it has baking soda in it. 

I scoop in the morning (after kitty breakfast) and my husband scoops at bed time ( after kitty midnight snack) every day. We also scoop if we notice it is needed during the day because our one cat  ( the picky one) has a sensitive stomach and can clear a room.

We refill as needed when we scoop. We go through a 37 lb box in just about 2 weeks. We completely empty the box once a month or every other month and my husband hoses it out in the yard (we live in the woods,so its not as bad as it sounds).  Unless the one cat has some serious tummy troubles and then it is as needed. 

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

We refill as needed when we scoop. We go through a 37 lb box in just about 2 weeks....
I hated that about the Arm&Hammer Brand litter :( Such a huge box of litter, but it only lasts a couple weeks. even when i had only 1 cat, it wasn't any better...

pdbudd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Three cats (2 older and one 3 years old) have summer and winter set ups.

There are two litter pans all year round and an extra small one in the basement as a treat for whoever finds it. It is placed where the oldest cat had been making secret deposits.

The largest, open Rubbermaid deep pan can fit all kitties but the young cat likes her covered, open door pan for privacy. She uses this year round. The other two cats go outdoors in spring through Fall. 

The young cat thinks there is something strange about cats using leaf litter and soil outside.

In winter the scooping is daily or every other day with a refreshing top dressing. In summer less is needed. The covered one still gets a daily scooping.

I cannot say exactly the kind of litter we use because I often change brands. I do not care for heavy clay types. I tried Petco, but found it is too dusty and wastes money. One of the older cats got a serious allergic-nasal reaction to dust from Arm & Hammer... no baking soda for us.

The Walmart brand works well but I dislike heavy clumping litter since when it gets wet (they only pee in corners for some reason)  it is like digging in a pit (for me). Today I bought two new types of lightweight litter. One is the Purina brand. I hope it works. A 20# container weighs 8#.

They do not like pellets, newspaper, or dust. They have peed in sawdust, but not pooped. That is smelly to clean. It was not a planned event but during some construction.

I keep the pans in the garage where tracking or being messy is not a big deal. Twice a year the pans get a big disinfecting.

If these were inside only cats in a condo or apartment I would probably do things differently.

julie cat mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have to scoop clean at least 3 times per day and completely clean 3 times per week. My cat bear does not cover his poop and the smell is unbelievable. He has 2 large open trays and I use non-clumping litter. Not settled yet on a particular brand just what is on offer. Also use powder cat litter deoderant. I am experimenting with food as he is often sick as well and find he is better on high meat low cereal diet but is very fussy

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have a large under the bed  storage kind of box, because Angel is a long, big boy who likes to use the corner when pooping, so that sometimes resulted in "hiney hanging." 

Clumping.  Pro-Pet Fresh Results corncob litter w/ natural pine scent. (Also Walmart $5.98/10lb. bag)

2-3 times a day. It depends on how often he goes, & if I'm home. I pretty much scoop after every use. I just make sure to give it time to clump well.

I usually do it every 2 weeks. Every other weekend, but the last two times have been closer to a week & a half. (It just looked like it needed it) I don't keep it too deep, sense I change it so often, sense it's so big,&

so I don't waste litter, but enough for him to feel like he has enough to "dig." Maybe a couple of inches or so.

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
1 cat household

Giant sized litter pan from Kmart, open top

Worlds Best Cat Litter or Swheat Scoop, clumping

2-3 x a day

Once a month or whenever litter starts looking low. 

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

We have two boxes for two cats. One is a regular litter box from the pet store; but a fairly large one, with lower sides.  The other, is a small container meant to mix up cement, which we got at Home Depot.  It also is kind of low sided, but has better capacity than the first one.  Casper is older, so the low sides have become necessary.

Currently Arm and Hammer Multi Cat (I think that's the one).  Clumping.  I have yet to find one I'm totally happy with.  This one is low dust, and doesn't have any kind of weird smell to it but I'm not happy with the urine clumping ability at all.  It just seems to puddle on the top.

My BF does all of it.  I have problems with my knees and it's become pretty rough doing this task.  I know he does it once a day, but no more (or rarely) and this is a bone of contention between us.   We're lucky our cats have good litter box habits and do a good job of covering.  Sometimes I do have to remind him if I see at the end of the day it hasn't been taken care of yet.  He used to get annoyed from me reminding him but has grown to realize that he's somewhat forgetful and can use the input.   I  do " sneak scoop" at times.  Don't tell him!  

I believe it's totally cleaned once a month.  In the winter this is an issue, as someone else mentioned, we also have an old home (nearly 100 years old) and doing this task inside the house is difficult.  The litter is kept pretty deep and topped off with clean litter weekly all the time, but this time of year even more so.  A complete litter change probably happens twice a month or so, aside from cleaning the box itself.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dream would be a basement or big laundry room with a sink cause the bathroom in our house is 6x6 or so.  I usually have 3 boxes going at once-2 in tub and one on floor.  I am used to it but husband hates it as to tight to even pee. Even a bigger bathroom would not solve it as it is pain bending and I am in 30's :)

Lol at sneak scoop!  My Mom had to stop scooping the boxes yet sometimes I hear her on phone and "yell" at her to tell stepdad to do it!  She tries to help and ends up in pain cause of it:(

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

My dream would be a basement or big laundry room with a sink cause the bathroom in our house is 6x6 or so.  I usually have 3 boxes going at once-2 in tub and one on floor.  I am used to it but husband hates it as to tight to even pee. Even a bigger bathroom would not solve it as it is pain bending and I am in 30's :)

Lol at sneak scoop!  My Mom had to stop scooping the boxes yet sometimes I hear her on phone and "yell" at her to tell stepdad to do it!  She tries to help and ends up in pain cause of it:(
Finding room for another box is an issue for us also.  Right now, one is in the main bathroom and the other in our "office".  There is no room in the powder room at all, our basement is totally off limits to the cats (unfinished and dangerous for them).  The only other place we can think of is a large closet area which is a pass through to the powder room on the first floor.  But, that's literally right off the dining room and seriously, not someplace we care to have a litter box.

shadows daisy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I have a deep pan box without a cover. I only use Odor Busters litter. I completely scrub once a week and scoop several times a day.

dianamc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Currently a large open box.  I have a large covered box but don't know if she will adapt to it now.  In the past, I have used Boodas and also the Breeze.  My old kitty seemed to think she was very big; Dandy is pretty big.

Currently, World's Best Cat Litter Quick Clumping. Previously used Tidy Cats, Arm and Hammer (all clumping)

Twice a day

It's only been about every two months. My husband has been doing it. I had done it every month.

nycats

Mother of 3 cats & fosters
Adult Cat
Purraise

One Catit Hooded Cat Litter Pan for two cats. I took the door off and folded the top panel up, so the lid is 1/3 open.

Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat (clumping)

1-2 times a day

I clean the box with vinegar water and put new liner/litter in.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1. I use covered in litter boxes with clear swinging flaps. Cobweb has the flap removed from hers because she won't use it with the flap on.
2. I use litter crystals. My cats like them and I prefer them to other litter types.
3. I always scoop once a day but some days more.
4. I empty and clean the whole box, lid and all once a week.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1. I have two 4' X 2' plastic storage containers. Sterelite brand I think...

2. I use chicken layer crumble instead of litter. I also add a little baking soda to it. It clumps well and has zero dust. Think WBCL without the cost.

3. Scoop once a day

4. Usually every six weeks or sooner if needed. I keep the chicken crumble pretty deep so there's no pee clumps on the bottom of the boxes.

armina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I have two boxes, one for upstairs and one for downstairs for one cat.

Precious Cat Clumping Litter. I’ve used it ever since I adopted her and she will only use that.

Three times a day- Emilia’s really picky about clean litter.

The box itself is cleaned once a month, and like everyone else, I refill the litter weekly.

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

- Two plastic x-large boxes.

- Dr. Elsey's low dust, clumping litter.

- Three to four times a day.

- Refill as needed and change about once a month being that their feces is dry and essentially odor free.

Last edited:

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

We have two boxes for two cats. One is a regular litter box from the pet store; but a fairly large one, with lower sides.  The other, is a small container meant to mix up cement, which we got at Home Depot.  It also is kind of low sided, but has better capacity than the first one.  Casper is older, so the low sides have become necessary.

Currently Arm and Hammer Multi Cat (I think that's the one).  Clumping.  I have yet to find one I'm totally happy with.  This one is low dust, and doesn't have any kind of weird smell to it but I'm not happy with the urine clumping ability at all.  It just seems to puddle on the top.

My BF does all of it.  I have problems with my knees and it's become pretty rough doing this task.  I know he does it once a day, but no more (or rarely) and this is a bone of contention between us.   We're lucky our cats have good litter box habits and do a good job of covering.  Sometimes I do have to remind him if I see at the end of the day it hasn't been taken care of yet.  He used to get annoyed from me reminding him but has grown to realize that he's somewhat forgetful and can use the input.   I  do " sneak scoop" at times.  Don't tell him!  

I believe it's totally cleaned once a month.  In the winter this is an issue, as someone else mentioned, we also have an old home (nearly 100 years old) and doing this task inside the house is difficult.  The litter is kept pretty deep and topped off with clean litter weekly all the time, but this time of year even more so.  A complete litter change probably happens twice a month or so, aside from cleaning the box itself.
I probably sound like a broken record by now. but @sivyaleah  , i highly reccomend Nature's Miracle Intense Defense Clay litter.  I used to use the Arm and hammer one you're using now and i had the same problem. i HATED it.

Look at the review I left for the litter i currently use, and very straight to the point on the Pro's and Cons, and it's deff worth a try!

http://www.thecatsite.com/products/natures-miracle-intense-defense-clumping-litter