How often do you clean the litter box?

jenny466

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use 2 of the largest I could find, hooded pans, sometimes they like to pee standing up!I use plain clay litter, (Cat's Pride) scoop solids at least once a day, more if needed & stir the whole thing, helps keep all dry.Pans get dumped & washed & refilled every 3 days, had to do the same with clumping litter. A month it's supposed to last? No way, just as stinky as the less expensive clay in 3 days, that's been my experience anyway. (3cats,2 boxes)

bootse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
BOOTSE I have a multi cat litter box for one cat only & I use Tidy Cat clump I fill it 4-5 inches at the beginning othe month and scoop it all out 7pm every night then add accordingly I also spray my fav aerosol and am very happy so far

bootse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh forgot to mention it is a really big hooded box whichever change the little charcoal pad on the lid every 3 months it helps to neutralize odors

bootse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Actually I throw half the container of
Litter in the litter box after giving it I good cleaning and little by little I throw the rest in after scooping every night but this is for 1 cat and that's what I do till I clean it really good in a month and my house doesn't smell bad

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
I have two extra-large size litter boxes, one in each cat's "bedroom", and one giant litter box--a Petmate giant litter box, the dimensions on it are 34.7 long x 19.8 wide x 10 inches deep.  My boys are BIG boys.

One extra large has a top cover on it, the other one doesn't--due to each cat's preference. 

The gigantic one doesn't have a cover.  It's the easiest to deal with, but the one least used!

I use clumping litter, mine reject the others due to the feel I guess, all I can come up with, they prefer the "sandy" over the "chunky" feel, I've tried everything I think

I scoop twice a day and stir it thoroughly, add litter as needed after scooping to keep the right levels for my guys

I dump the entire thing and wash the boxes on an as-needed basis.  On average I'd say only once every other month do we actually drag them outside and dump them and wash and start totally fresh.  Ours stay really, really clean just by scooping, and there aren't any bad odors.

My guys don't have really stinky, nasty, or bad business, thank goodness!!  My messy, stinky one was my female that just recently passed.

Here's a pic of my gargantuan box for the big boys--the one that is in it is my chunky monkey, Shortstack--and he's 17 pounds and has extra room to turn around.  They don't chunk any over the sides with this one.

Last edited:

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I used clay litter (Dr. Elsey's), I kept 4 inches of litter in the box, scooped twice a day, and spot cleaned places where the cats peed on the sides of the box.  So I only needed to change it all out maybe once or twice a year.

Now I'm using Feline Pine in a sifting litter box (Tidy Cat Breeze).  I scoop poop, if present, and stir it around twice a day.  I've been emptying the box, saving the pellets, and rinsing it in the shower once a month because pee does end up getting on the plastic box sometimes.  But I'm wondering if that's overkill.  The sawdust/pellets really does a great job of soaking up the pee.

bootse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Everyone's cats and homes or apartments are different You know what works for You

scylla

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
1. What kind of box or boxes you have.
(boyfriend has ferrets so we have tons of litter boxes not included in this) 2cheap dollarstore litterboxes for the closets, two storage bins one is extra long and one is extra tall so four in total for the cats

2. What type of litter do you use (please mention clumping or non-clumping, crystals or other).
blue buffalo walnut clumping litter either multicat or quick clump whatever the store has that time

3. How often do you scoop?
once a day normally and every two days if im super busy and not around much

4. How often do you have a total change of litter and/or cleaning of the entire box?
once a month usually but if it gets super stinky ill change it anyways even if its only been a week, ill also do a clean if it gets dirty looking D: like if mew managed to poop on the side

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well this is going to be embarrassing.

1. My box is like an under the bed tote, but not a huge one. Bigger than a typical litter box though. It was in the clearance section at the container sore because it didn't have a lid.

2. Fresh Step Unscented, a clumping clay litter. It's super dusty but that's only a problem when I pour it (box is in a carpeted room so dust tracking isn't really an issue). I cannot stand the scented ones, the smell is so strong. I find the fresh pet clumps the best (clumps don't crumble apart) and controls odor really well.

3. I scoop like twice a week, maybe three times. Basically if there is a big enough litter to waste ratio so they can cover everything I'm okay with it. I guess that's why I've tried to many litters and hated them even though others say they're great, I'm trying to control a lot more odor and dealing with bigger pee clumps. Part of me thinks I should be scooping daily and part of me doesn't see the point, it doesn't smell and the cats aren't going anywhere else (guess I'm lucky), and I hate doing it. Though if I were scooping just a few clumps I might hate it less.

4. I was dumping it and giving it a thorough scrubbing once a month but have been slacking lately. I need to get back on track with that.

So here's a question for you daily scoopers, what do you put the waste in? Trying to find a plastic grocery bag in our collection without a hole in it is a pain in the rear end, I'd never find enough to have one for every day. I suppose with daily cleaning you can use smaller bags though, so what do you use?

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence

Well this is going to be embarrassing.

1. My box is like an under the bed tote, but not a huge one. Bigger than a typical litter box though. It was in the clearance section at the container sore because it didn't have a lid.the bigger the box the more the cat will like it. Boxes that are made for that purpose are a waste of money and any large plastic box will do just fine. You got yourself a bargain, I look for stuff like that at Big Lots! where they will mark it down even more.

2. Fresh Step Unscented, a clumping clay litter. It's super dusty but that's only a problem when I pour it (box is in a carpeted room so dust tracking isn't really an issue). I cannot stand the scented ones, the smell is so strong. I find the fresh pet clumps the best (clumps don't crumble apart) and controls odor really well. I use World's Best Litter, it makes very little dust, lasts a long time and reduces odor, although it is a bit more expensive  I find it to be superior to the others. It also has no scent of its own as it is made from industrial corn. Most cats don't like artificial scent either. 

3. I scoop like twice a week, maybe three times. Basically if there is a big enough litter to waste ratio so they can cover everything I'm okay with it. I guess that's why I've tried to many litters and hated them even though others say they're great, I'm trying to control a lot more odor and dealing with bigger pee clumps. Part of me thinks I should be scooping daily and part of me doesn't see the point, it doesn't smell and the cats aren't going anywhere else (guess I'm lucky), and I hate doing it. Though if I were scooping just a few clumps I might hate it less. you are lucky that your cats cover up, not all cats do. If you and your cats like the results that is all that counts and to heck with all those who scoop more than you do. Of course if you scooped more you would not have to scoop so much at one time. Whatever floats your and your cats' boat.

As far as what to do about a bag to put the used litter into: I'm sorry you can barely find any without  holes in them. I don't have that problem, there are hardly any that do have holes so I use regular grocery bags and any and all other plastic bags I get from anywhere.

4. I was dumping it and giving it a thorough scrubbing once a month but have been slacking lately. I need to get back on track with that. I don't scrub the boxes as much as you do. I take wipes to clean up above the litter when i think about it and wash the boxes with bleach maybe twice a year.

So here's a question for you daily scoopers, what do you put the waste in? Trying to find a plastic grocery bag in our collection without a hole in it is a pain in the rear end, I'd never find enough to have one for every day. I suppose with daily cleaning you can use smaller bags though, so what do you use?

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
I broke down and bought a Litter Genie. I love it. The refills are pricey, but I buy them in bulk online. I used to use plastic shopping bags but they are so cheaply made now it's hard to find one in my bin without a hole. I probably have hundreds of bags saved up but after I had one bust and drop poo and pee on my feet and carpet I swapped. The Genie doesn't stink at all, it really works for me, just costs a bit.

bootse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had the problem of where to put the pooh cause i was saving up plastic shopping bags & they always had a hole so I've been buying Shoprite 4gallon garbage bags there's 30 in a box and I buy 2 boxes a month they come with twist ties or I just tie them up myself and throw them in special trash can till trash day it's been working for me hope this helps you

bootse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Adult Cat. I bought the biggest multi litter box with hood and charcoal pad up top and this is for my one cat I use TidyCat multi clump and I throw the whole 17lbs in so she has more than plenty I scoop once a day and throw the pooh in ShopRite 4gallon garbage bags with ties 30ct and I buy 2 boxes a month to be safe their $1.39 here anyway I kee a 2nd tidy cat to throw in little by little as I scoop the clump and pooh out remember this is for one cat then once a month I dump everything out and scrub it up real good with Srubbing Bubbles and paper towels because in the winter I don't have access to water in the yard because we shut it so the pipes won't freeze so i find it easier to just dump in lg trash bag and use Scrubbing Bubbles all yr long now and my cat doesn't mind it 99.9% and I dry it up real good and the smell imitates the cats smell sort of yet I know it's clean

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I got my kitten when he was just 3 weeks old. He is now 7 months old and was neutered 5 days ago.

Have been observing him on how he uses the litter box. He is a digger so I fill up about 3ins of litter. And at least twice a day he'll have a full pee and I use clumping litter for him and boy, the clumps are big and besides that, maybe some smaller clumps for each day.

I scoop his litter box at least 3 times a day and 10 minutes after each time he poop. The last one is just after he is in bed so that in the morning he'll have a clean litter box and I'll top up the litter each time after I gather a few big clumps of pee.

I changed to a bigger litter box since now he has grown bigger. I use small plastic bags that comes in packs of 90 pcs which cost S$2 per pack to dump his pee and poo. I place the bags in a 1.5 kilo ice cream tub which can hold 3 big clumps easily. This is his second box since he has outgrown the other so I've not actually gone into washing the litter box as yet.

bootse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As you see you instinctively Know what to do for Your kitten/cat you'll grow as your cat grows and of course advice from this site. =^w^=. Have a Purrfect Day

pegleg

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use dog poo bags, then put it in a small bin in my bathroom for unpleasantries. This bin is lined with the plastic bags used when buying vegetables or small carrier bags from corner shops. Because the poo's already in a baggie it wouldn't matter if the carrier bag has a hole in it.

I empty the bin every couple of days when I take the rubbish out.

pegleg

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
1. What kind of box or boxes you have.
Two, one tray which came with one of the cats and another large covered one. My boy uses the tray as he and it were here first and my girl uses both.

2. What type of litter do you use (please mention clumping or non-clumping, crystals or other).
Crystal, either Sanicat or Carrefour supermarket own brand. I started with cheap stuff and my two didn't mind changing litter but I live in a warm country and the crystal really does avoid smells and lasts longer.

3. How often do you scoop?
Between twice a day and every 1.5 daysdays. Depends on my schedule and the state of the boxes.

4. How often do you have a total change of litter and/or cleaning of the entire box?
When needed, basically when it smells. I clean the trays on different days usually, with baking soda and vinegar and leave them out on the balcony in the sun to dry and disinfect.

kitkatpoochie25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
1.I use Marchioro Cat Litter box they are open lid and have 2 options for sizes. They also have a bit of cover on the side to prevent litter scattering all over the place when cats are digging the litter. I have been using the litter box since my cat was just one month old and now my cat is 1 yr. And 2 months old but the litter box is still in great shape.

2.I use Purina Tidy Cats Non-clumping cat litter. They are 99.6% dust free, low tracking, and triple odor protection. My cat really doesn't mind if she is using clumping or non-clumping, she just loves digging on non-clumping cat litter. And our housr doesn't smell that bad for a week or so.

3.I scoop twice a day to prevent our house from smelling and also to prevent my cat from peeing and pooping outside her litter box.

4.I change and clean my cats litter box every week to prevent foul smells and changing the entire litter box every year to prevent bacteria, infections and worms from spreading.