How often do you clean out your fridge?

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try really hard to not have things to throw away,but every once in awhile they do escape me.We're big on eating up leftovers,or they go in the freezer.Things like breads and biscuits get turned in to crumbs and then go in this huge bag I keep in the freezer.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Not near often enough! I'm pretty good with making sure there's no bad produce in there, but I can't think of when I looked at the jars of stuff in the door
:yeah: Same here, I probably should do it more often too but we eat all our leftovers. It's basically the jars in the door like Lari Lari mentioned that I forget to check.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
At the moment there is a large glass jar of sliced fruit stewing in sake in my cupboard. Why? He doesn't drink. I'm certainly not going to drink it. Is it for science? Who knows
I asked him what this was. Turns out it's a traditional Japanese cold cure and it will need to ferment for 6 months before it works. So if I get a cold anytime after June we're all good.

:lol:

There's a frozen squid in my freezer though. I didn't dare ask him about that........

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My mom's fridge is the worst. She will go weeks without throwing things out and then be totally shocked when the stuff she pulls out is sustaining its own ecosystem...
My parents are the same... with both of their refrigerators :cringe: The worst part is that mom reuses plastic food containers to store leftovers in and doesn't label the container and things somehow get moved to the back of the shelves behind other things. So you might pull out a tub of butter or Cool Whip and find something else inside and that something is usually from at least a few weeks ago and now moldy :barfgreen:

My own refrigerator doesn't have much so nothing goes past being usable / edible.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to periodically clean out my mom’s fridge and freezer and it is always a nightmare. Unidentifiable bits of this and that , and rotten fruits and vegetables, most of which smells awful. Fortunately she loves to store things in baggies which makes mold worse but at least I don’t need to wash out any containers. If I do it while she is home we always end up arguing over what should be kept and what can be tossed.