How Often Do You Bathe Your cats?

Krazyokami

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know most of you don't because you've never needed to.
My boy Church can't groom himself the best and his coat will start to get oily because his joints won't let him groom as much as the average cat. So he gets bathed about every 6-8 weeks. Either an oatmeal deshed or dirty dog. My friend owns a grooming place so I just take him there and bathe and blow him out myself. He's a good boy :)

Gorgonzola only gets a bath when her shedding gets out of control. For a short haired cat, she blows her coats like a husky when the seasons change. So I'd say about three times a year for her.

So if you have these issues, how often do you bathe or take to the groomers?

Attachments

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it Church in your photos?
He's gorgeous, so handsome and sweet! :redheartpump: :redheartpump: :redheartpump:

No, I've never bathed my current cats, unless we can count dry baths in. A few times they have come back from the vets with that bad clinic smell on them, or on a couple of occasions they peed themselves, so I used that dry foam bath and cleansed them with a cloth.

The cat in my avatar received several baths at home, especially when she was older and her disease wouldn't allow her to go to the litterbox and she would soil herself in her bed.

P.S.: The name Gorgonzola is nice ;)

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I have Maine coon, one of whom is a show neuter I casually take to shows. They get baths every 3 months, and the show boy gets show groomed as needed.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So far I've only bathed cats (both long and short hair) if they got dirty in some manner that made it necessary. Each time I had no problem doing it, both even tolerated my blow drying them.

Our youngest is a Maine Coon and really could benefit from a bath, they tend to have a greasier coat than other breeds. It's long overdue in fact.

I don't think she's going to take to it well though and there aren't any reputable groomers anywhere in our area. I've tried searching and they just don't exist and I don't want to drive long distances to have it done either since she's not a great car rider.

I think I'm going to attempt it soon though. Bought a nice smelling Chubbs bar (lots of groomers use this) and can bath her in the kitchen sink which is deep and has a pull down faucet. She's just not a fan of any type of grooming so we'll see how it goes once I get up the nerve lol. Good thing my husband will be around to help keep her in the sink because I'm sure otherwise she might be out like a shot!

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never. Both are indoor Cats. Both Boys do a good job in self cleanliness.

LokiWolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both my kitties get monthly bathes to keep down the shedding. Bellatrix is 25 and has a hard time keeping clean now and Lizzy goes on leashed adventures outside so she gets dirty. Both tolerate them well. I use Nature's specialties aloe shampoo and a bit of Bark to basics light conditioner. Both allow me to blow dry them with a hair dryer. Lizzy is a bit more jumpy but thats due to inexperience and being young. She gets lots of treats.
3139649D-99E1-4CD8-B2C5-37CC707AC028.jpeg
09B7458F-52C3-4C96-B434-5B39D088D484.jpeg

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Nobel isn't keeping himself as clean due to arthritis. I had to bathe him this year but it causes a lot of stress. Now I just shave his belly and bum down and brush him daily. We also got a bean bag chair that had the added benefit of him being able to groom himself better.

We bathed Magnus once when he got paint on him. We've never bathed Cal. We spot clean them with just a damp cloth. It can be easier if you want to reduce baths.

I always use Johnson and Johnson's baby shampoo (the original one). They used to test on animals. It's safe and I've never had a cat react to it..but I've had cats start loosing hair after using cat shampoos in the past. (Used to help my mum with fosters)

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Only do it if my cat pees in the carrier while she's in there or accidentally gets one of her legs in the toilet

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only when they first come home from the shelter, or if they get filthy somehow. I had to sponge Daisy’s rear end clean recently when she had a fairly explosive poo after an enema. Just used cat shampoo and a soft cloth in the basin.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've only had 2 cats that needed bathing. Rusty belonged to my SIL. He was no neutered and had free reign of the neighborhood. He was too "busy' to clean. She moved away and left him with us. He was a lovely ginger both in personality and coat. He always looked more brown. I only bathed him once before getting him neutered. After his procedure he kept himself sparkling.

The other was long haired very short legged girl. She didn't need bathing until 10yr old when she had trouble keeping clean. Mostly I cleaned her back end with a damp cloth. Eventually she got monthly visits to the groomer for sanitary trim and would lay on her back and yell for post potty wipe.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I try to bathe my girl once a month. I have found fragrance free shampoo and conditioner, which makes it more acceptable to her.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'll want to get a special 'hair' dryer for cats. do not use the one for humans it gets too hot even on low settings. If you cat thinks this thing is going to burn him, bathing will become more of a fight than you ever dreamed.

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know most of you don't because you've never needed to.
My boy Church can't groom himself the best and his coat will start to get oily because his joints won't let him groom as much as the average cat. So he gets bathed about every 6-8 weeks. Either an oatmeal deshed or dirty dog. My friend owns a grooming place so I just take him there and bathe and blow him out myself. He's a good boy :)

Gorgonzola only gets a bath when her shedding gets out of control. For a short haired cat, she blows her coats like a husky when the seasons change. So I'd say about three times a year for her.

So if you have these issues, how often do you bathe or take to the groomers?
I've had Lil Buddy since late February, and so far no baths. I guess a flea infestation would be the only incentive for me to risk it, considering he is very high strung. The furstorm I just deal with via lotsa brushing and wet-hand massages...he's quite addicted to both, and I don't mind it either. Hairballs was a problem, but since starting Laxatone, no vomit for a few weeks.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Never, and I hope it stays that way. Ailish hates water with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns. She is the most sensible cat in every other way, but a small splash of water on the carpet freaks her out completely. You would think it was burning acid that will jump on her if it gets too close. I realize there are reasons why one would HAVE to bathe a cat, but I'm hoping we never get there. I simpley don't know what I'd do.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never a complete bath for either one of them. My DW will occasionally Use a pet friendly disposable cloth too clean their backsides if it becomes necessary . Usually both boys do a very good job cleaning themselves .

FeralDragonChild

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I'm gonna start bathing mine once a month or every other month.he keeps decently clean but his ears get nasty,he's seen a vet and is on ear drops.He doesn't have mites but for some reason his ears get really dirty

Smarl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bath my ragdoll when she's changing her coat, and if she gets dirty. She likes to go on walks (with harness) and rolls over the ground, so sometimes she might need an extra wash. My domestic shorthair doesn't need bathing, he doesn't like to go out and keeps himself pretty tidy.

Mr. Mojo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had several cat's in my life. The only time I had to bathe one was after one of my outdoor cats came home with some motor oil on his fur I assume from being under a leaking automobile. My current boy Mojo is indoor and a domestic shorthair so no need to bathe him. He does a good job on himself.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to wash Radar (may he rest in peace) a couple of times - once when he tipped a baking tray full of tomato juice, mozzarella and olive oil all over himself - there was garlic and onion in the sauce and although the amount in there probably wouldn't have done any harm I didn't want to risk it, and I am sure the amount of olive oil in the sauce would have upset his stomach if it was ingested - so he got a wash.

The other time was when he got oil from a bicycle chain all over him, that needed to come off before he tried to groom himself so that had to be a proper bath. Fortunately he enjoyed playing in water and wasn't fazed by having a bath.

I gave Jakey a sort of sponge bath once when he knocked a glass of wine off the table with his wriggly tail all over his back!

Generally though, cats that are fit and healthy tend to be self-cleaning. Unless they get into something that could be dangerous/toxic. Long haired show cats of course are bathed and groomed so they are ready for the show, but most pet cats do not have to be bathed.