How often do you bathe your cat?

matea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I have a long haired, white Persian cat and I am wondering how often should I bathe her? (she is indoors only)

Usually her hair gets a bit oily and smelly after two weeks. I put a lot of effort into keeping all the surfaces clean but she's a curious one. Right now she has a stain from my powder blush :D

May I add that she actually likes water and let's me blow dry her + I use mild shampoo. 

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she starts looking greasy in 2 weeks, bath her every 2 weeks. There some degreasing shampoos that will help. Although since mine are shown I need a heavy duty degreaser so I use other products. You are VERY lucky she doesn't mind the bath and drying. A clean coat will not mat as fast as a dirty coat, so you should have less problems with mats.

For those of you who will say a cat keeps itself clean - that is not necessarily true for long haired cats. They usually need help.

Last edited:

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If she starts looking greasy in 2 weeks, bath her every 2 weeks. There some degreasing shampoos that will help. Although since mine are shown I need a heavy duty degreaser so I use other products. You are VERY lucky she doesn't mind the bath and drying. A clean coat will not mat as fast as a dirty coat, so you should have less problems with mats.

For those of you who will say a cat keeps itself clean - that is not necessarily true for long haired cats. They usually need help.
Understand completely.  Luckily mine is a short haired and very "dainty" shall we say, there for, ALWAYS clean.    LOL

Last edited:

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat is short haired, but likes water (and me)  enough that she will follow me into the bath tub and not run out the moment the warm water hits her.  I've never tried an actual bath(never had to), but I figured that making the tub as normal and un-scary as possible, that it'd be easier if I ever had to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I read some articles online saying you should bathe your cat only a couple of times a year and I thought to myself OMG what am I doing to my cat. 

I am relieved now :D

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Back in the day when I was actually trying to stay away from my allergy triggers I bathed my cats once a week.  You have never seen a cat disappear so fast as when one spots the other one coming out of the bathroom soaking wet.

Then Shadow for some reason started matting badly immediately after a bath and I got lackadaisical about avoiding my allergy triggers (there's just too darn many) and invested in Sudafed to keep the sinuses clear so they get a bath only when they get in something super nasty.

The once a week bath though kept their fur in beautiful shape and I never got even a slightly stuffy nose around them during that time, though the claw marks still got itchy and red (first use of the litter box puts the allergens right back on the claws).

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wash my lot once every 2-3 months. blow dry some,

have one special needs wash her often have no coat or

dry skin problems because of it....just a sparkling kitties.

Last edited:

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks. I read some articles online saying you should bathe your cat only a couple of times a year and I thought to myself OMG what am I doing to my cat. 

I am relieved now :D
 Your baby is beautiful!   If you ever think that you wash to much think about all the cats in the cat

show circut continuosly being bathed groomed.

david's steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Never once have I ever bathed my indoor cats, in the 17 years I have taken care of the 4 of them... they kept/keep themselves so fresh.clean smelling [emoji]127804[/emoji]

Last edited:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My short-hairs never need bathing either, but your schedule of every two weeks sounds reasonable to me. If she likes it and it keeps her fur clean and not greasy, go for it!

matea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, thank you :)

matea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Just needed to check that I am not doing something wrong.