How Not To Compare New Kitty To Angel Kitty

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A bit of back story: November last year we adopted a 5 month old kitten from our local shelter. Our little guy chose us, he hopped in to my lap right away and started purring. When my husband held him, he snuggled in to his neck and purred. We had to leave to get a note from our landlord, and when we left he tried to follow us out the door. Unfortunately we found out in January that he had FIP and he left us on February 9. The last 2 weeks were hard, trying to get food into him and cleaning him as he had become incontinent. Memorial day weekend, we adopted our new cat and every time she sleeps too much, or isn't interested in playing, I worry about her. For those of you out there who have been in a similar position,how did you calm yourself down?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Neko-Chan.

First, my sincere condolences on the loss of your kitten :hugs:

It's wonderful you've been able to open your hearts and home to another one though understandable to worry. While I haven't been in this position, I can offer a couple of things which may help ease your mind.

First, have you brought the new cat to the vet for a full check up yet? This is always a good thing to do so that there's a baseline health report regardless of whether or not a cat has any symptoms. Even if a shelter or rescue says the cat is healthy it's still a good idea to establish your pet with your personal vet. This might also help you with your worries, to hear that she's healthy and happy.

Also, keep in mind kittens do tend to sleep quite a bit, even though they are also known for being very active. They need to recharge their batteries! And as for playing, maybe you just have not found the right toy for her yet - some cats like wand toys, some like hunting types that move on the floor, some like to chase objects that go in circles, others like to kick and maul things that resemble creatures, or chase crinkly things. It's a matter of finding what triggers her desire to hunt so try several things; a variety of less expensive toys to begin with until you hit upon what works for her. FYI keep in mind too that catnip usually doesn't work on small cats so don't expect her to react anything that contains it just yet.

She also could just be a bit hesitant still with her environment. Some kitties take longer than others to acclimate. Do you have enough places for her to climb onto where she can watch from above? Places for her to hide too? These will make her feel safe and secure and give her a place to hide out in when feeling overwhelmed.

All cats are different same as us people. Relish the newcomers unique personality traits, she is herself. Let her show herself to you!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's so hard NOT to worry when you have already been through so much. I still jump EVERYTIME I hear a brake applied too hard, and i always still check the road out front every morning because that road has given me so much pain. People dump their cats here because it is a park like setting and I guess they think the cats will survive. I can tell these people I have 12 little graves around my place because of what you think. My first responsibility is to my inside cats. I spay/neuter all these precious abandoned little ones and give them the best life I can, and I cry over them when they lie dead on the road. You never get over it, you never get used to it. I think it is better to be a little more concerned, a little more alert,then not. it does absolutely no good to worry about something you can't control, just take one day at a time. Almost always, what you think might happen doesn't, except for my road.......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Neko has been to the vet. He says she is healthy. She does play, she likes her wand toy and little fuzzy mice. I just get scared because there's really no way of knowing or preventing coronovirus.