How much wet food to feed 2 month old kitten?

siamesecat108

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!

I am so excited to be adopting a kitten. He will be about two months old when I get to bring him home in a few weeks.

I am worried about how much I should feed him. I really don’t want to under feed or over feed. I hope to keep him at a healthy, lean, optimal weight, and also I plan on feeding him wet food only, no dry food.

Total food per day:
7.5 oz of Tiki Cat Luau Chicken
2.75 oz of Tiki Cat After Dark Chicken

I plan on feeding him that total per day, but spread out in 3-4 separate feedings instead of free-feeding. It comes out to about 226 kcal per day. Is that enough, at least to start out with until I can adjust accordingly, once I get a sense of his activity level?

Thank you for any advice! I had a kitten as a child but this is my first kitten as an adult!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I am so excited to be adopting a kitten. He will be about two months old when I get to bring him home in a few weeks.
EA89919F-114D-4596-9F5F-60AC242D9B24$L0$001~photo.GIF
on getting a new kitty!

It is good that you'll be only feeding him wet food as wet food is full of nutrients and proteins. Wet food keeps the kitty hydrated.

You may feed him 4 - 5 times a day and feed him as much as he can eat at one sitting. For a start, the first few feeds in the first week will help you gauge how much he eats at one go after he has totally settled down in your house. A kitten is full of energy and they burn off calories very fast and don't worry, if you are feeding wet food, you'll never over feed a kitten.

Usually, feeding them goes very much by the calories that is in the can and not by weight of the can. An indoor cat needs roughly 200 - 250 calories per day if the cat is pretty active. So don't go by the weight of the can. Check the small prints and see how much calories are there in that can.
Some cans have lower calories so you need to feed more to meet the daily requirements of calories needed. Some cans are larger in size and some are smaller cans. For example, my boy wet food comes in 3oz cans and each can is around 49 calories. So each day he eats around 250 calories which is 5 cans (+-). So, please read the label.

(I plan on feeding him that total per day, but spread out in 3-4 separate feedings instead of free-feeding. It comes out to about 226 kcal per day. Is that enough, at least to start out with until I can adjust accordingly, once I get a sense of his activity level?)
Yes, you are on track but as a kitten, it's normal to feed him 300 calories or slightly more to compensate for the active life.

You can feed him food meant for kittens as they need all the nourishments or feed him food labeled 'For All Life Stages' which my boy is on since he was 3 weeks old till now (he's coming to 4 1/2 years old). After he has past his maturity age, you may switch to adult food gradually or stick to food labeled 'For All Life Stages'.

As he approach his maturity age ( year for normal breeds), he'll go through a growth spurt and he may eat more than usual till past a tear old and you'll notice that his food intake and number of feeds will taper down. And from there, you readjust the amount of food and number of feeds.

how-much-food-should-i-feed-my-cat

Last edited:

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With Tiki cat you might have to feed more then that as its low fat and low calories. I'd recommend adding other brands/flavors as well like Rawz, Koha, Farmina, Instinct :)

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would feed a kitten tinned/canned kitten food until he/she reaches 1 year of age. I believe that is the conventional wisdom. Plus kitten grade dry food. Read the labels on all food you feed you cat. You want to see animal protein as the first ingredient. I would feed canned food several times per day and free feed kitten kibble. You can not over feed a kitten. they are hyper active Lus growing! They need extra calories and minerals and protein.

keep us updated, please!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

siamesecat108

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
View attachment 333844 on getting a new kitty!

It is good that you'll be only feeding him wet food as wet food is full of nutrients and proteins. Wet food keeps the kitty hydrated.

You may feed him 4 - 5 times a day and feed him as much as he can eat at one sitting. For a start, the first few feeds in the first week will help you gauge how much he eats at one go after he has totally settled down in your house. A kitten is full of energy and they burn off calories very fast and don't worry, if you are feeding wet food, you'll never over feed a kitten.

Usually, feeding them goes very much by the calories that is in the can and not by weight of the can. An indoor cat needs roughly 200 - 250 calories per day if the cat is pretty active. So don't go by the weight of the can. Check the small prints and see how much calories are there in that can.
Some cans have lower calories so you need to feed more to meet the daily requirements of calories needed. Some cans are larger in size and some are smaller cans. For example, my boy wet food comes in 3oz cans and each can is around 49 calories. So each day he eats around 250 calories which is 5 cans (+-). So, please read the label.

(I plan on feeding him that total per day, but spread out in 3-4 separate feedings instead of free-feeding. It comes out to about 226 kcal per day. Is that enough, at least to start out with until I can adjust accordingly, once I get a sense of his activity level?)
Yes, you are on track but as a kitten, it's normal to feed him 300 calories or slightly more to compensate for the active life.

You can feed him food meant for kittens as they need all the nourishments or feed him food labeled 'For All Life Stages' which my boy is on since he was 3 weeks old till now (he's coming to 4 1/2 years old). After he has past his maturity age, you may switch to adult food gradually or stick to food labeled 'For All Life Stages'.

As he approach his maturity age ( year for normal breeds), he'll go through a growth spurt and he may eat more than usual till past a tear old and you'll notice that his food intake and number of feeds will taper down. And from there, you readjust the amount of food and number of feeds.

how-much-food-should-i-feed-my-cat
Thank you so much for all this advice! I have been reading the calorie info on cans and will continue to do so. Sounds like I’ll need to feed one more can a day than I thought to be closer to 300 calories for the kitten.

siamesecat108

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With Tiki cat you might have to feed more then that as its low fat and low calories. I'd recommend adding other brands/flavors as well like Rawz, Koha, Farmina, Instinct :)
Good to know. Thank you for the brand suggestions- I will look into them!!

siamesecat108

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would feed a kitten tinned/canned kitten food until he/she reaches 1 year of age. I believe that is the conventional wisdom. Plus kitten grade dry food. Read the labels on all food you feed you cat. You want to see animal protein as the first ingredient. I would feed canned food several times per day and free feed kitten kibble. You can not over feed a kitten. they are hyper active Lus growing! They need extra calories and minerals and protein.

keep us updated, please!
Thanks for reassuring me that I don’t need to worry so much about overfeeding and thanks for the suggestions!