How Much Wet Food For Kitten?

tigger99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten is about 3 months old and somewhere between 2-3 lbs. I feed him wet once in the morning and once right before bed and leave dry food out during the day. I was wondering how much wet food i should exactly feed him. Currently I give half of a 3oz can in the morning and another half at night. Should I be feeding more or less? It's a kitten formula wet food btw.

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Measure how much dry food he's eating when it's left out and then if he's not getting enough calories from that and the 3oz/day of wet you feed him, try adding in more wet food to get him up to a calorie amount that is satisfactory for his age/size.

A lot of canned kitten food say to feed kittens as much as they will eat 2-3 times a day, so you could also try putting out as much wet as he'll eat during the twice a day wet feedings.

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As a general rule of thumb, kittens should be given as much food as they will eat, so long as they aren't having any issues with their health or weight. So if you're feeding both kibble and canned food, I would just feed as much canned as he's willing to eat at the meal times you're currently doing and let him have as much kibble as he wants between meals. If cost is a concern, then you can stick to how much canned food you can afford and let him get the rest of what he needs from the dry food. Over-eating is rarely ever a concern with growing kittens.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is no set amoutn to feed a kitten. Kittens are rapidly growing so they need a lot of food and can eat what seems like their own weight in food. The recommendation is to feed kittens as much food as they want. They can't get fat since their bodise use up all that food to grow and most kittens are super active. If your kitten isn't constantly asking for more food, then you are feeding enough.