How Much Water To Add

yeva2292

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bought Smallbatch chicken sliders today to start Smokey on her transition to raw. The bag says max 68% moisture, compared to the 82% she's been getting from canned - plus the 1 tbs of water we add to her dinner every day. She's not a big fan of drinking water from other sources.

Is there a simple way to calculate how much water to add to her meals when she's 100% on raw? I plan on staying with commercial raw for now. Do you think adding 1 tbs of water to her food, 3x a day be ok?

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My understanding is that the more water, the better. I would gradually increase the amount to avoid a sudden change in consistency.

I add enough water to make my cats' food like a thick soup.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yeva2292

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok! So I'll just keep her at the 1 tbs extra per day (if she transitions well), and then slowly bump it up. I remember when I had asked her vet about adding to her canned food, he'd said "well, obviously 1/4 cup would be too much to add". So I'll keep it below that.... maybe :biggrin:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know that there is a "formula" but more water can't hurt. I mix my cats' food in all chunks, so water doesn't stick to it like ground. My kitten won't drink the "gravy" with water and supplements, so I stopped adding any water to her recipes. The supplements and egg yolk stick to the meat better without more liquid.

My senior cat is on a diet, and I've been adding a pound of water (as premade unflavored gelatin) to 2 pounds of his food. So he is essentially drinking an extra 1/4 cup of water a day in addition to the natural water content of raw meat. It makes him feel more full and, unlike the kitten, he loves his "soup". :p

So, I'd say add as much as she'll tolerate, but don't add so much that she fills up on water and doesn't eat enough food to satisfy her minimum nutritional needs.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can experiment with different amounts of water and see what your cat likes. Saipha has always been a gravy-licker, so I add enough water to make a stew-like consistency, and she laps it right up.

yeva2292

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for the advice! Maybe tomorrow I'll try a little experiment - one bowl with water + 1/2 slider and another bowl of water mixed with the other half of the slider and see which she likes more!

yeva2292

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, she definitely ended up preferring water added to the side over mixed in! Not to jinx myself, but I'm rather surprised at how easy she's switching over. I just need to cut out her morning meal of canned food and she'll be 100% raw.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats become "hopeless kibble addicts". Most cats, when given food choices, prefer healthy raw food. :) Glad to hear the transition is going well!