How Much Vomiting Is Too Much Vomiting?

corvidae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! I've had my cat Jem since the end of August and he's such an important part of my family. Over the time I've had him, he's been vomiting occasionally within 10-15 minutes of eating- so just throwing up undigested food. He is very enthusiastic and scarfs his food really quickly, which I suspect is the cause for his vomiting. I would say it happens 1-2x a week. Otherwise, he is eating, drinking, using the litterbox, and being his high energy playful self.

Initially he was vomiting more often after his morning wet food meal, so I tried switching his mealtimes so he gets dry in the morning (fed in two small feedings, about 1/8 of a cup each - one in his bowl and one in a little feeding ball he has to push around to dispense) and wet food at night. He then would still throw up after the wet food occasionally, so I tried giving him tiny portions- dividing his ~3oz dinner into 1 oz servings and giving them 45 minutes - an hour apart. That seemed to be working for the most part but then this morning he threw up his 1/8 cup dry breakfast.

For dry food he gets Nature's Variety Instinct Rawboost kibble. He was on the duck formula, but after that first bag ran out I got chicken because they were out of duck. For wet food, he gets Holistic Select Feline pates of all flavours, and sometimes Fancy Feast (the classic/pate style ones). His vomiting doesn't seem to be particularly linked with a brand or flavour of food.

Any advice from more experienced cat owners than I would be greatly appreciated! I genuinely don't know what is "normal" in this kind of situation or what else I can try, as Jem is my first pet that is all mine to look after, and I'm a bit of a worrywart by nature.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It does sound like an eating too fast situation. Try putting ping pong balls or foil balls in his food dish to slow him down. You can also get a commercial slow eater. If that stops it you are good.

If slowing him down doesn't stop it, come back and let us know so we can brainstorm some other ideas.