How much Vitamin A?

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So Morty has been having vomiting problems again, and for the life of me I can't figure out why. I get the feeling it's a combination of hairballs and acid reflux, but he's also been vomiting while/directly after eating again so I think he may be having an issue with bone in his food. If you saw our other thread he likely has IBD and he was doing very well for a few months (the best in his life actually) but we are now back to vomiting daily. Anyway, I've decided to take it a step back again and move back to cooked food (mainly pork) for him since he seemed to be okay when he was eating it. Unfortunately, we normally get our shipments from hare-today but because it's summer and we live in California shipping is like 100+. I plan to buy grocery store meat (that I will thoroughly cook and be sure there's no additives) but I have an issue with liver. I can't find a butcher near me that sells liver and we currently use the Alnutrin supplement which requires it. I can't use any of the other premixes because they add fish oil which Morty is sensitive to. So this basically leaves me needing to come up with a vitamin A source on my own, but every recipe I've looked at suggests liver because A toxicity can be problematic and deadly.

I have at least 50 pounds of meat in my freezer for him already, but it sadly all has bone. :rolleyes:🤦‍♀️

Anyway, any help would be great!

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you at all able to get Felini Complete where you are? May be the simplest option, as liver has high levels of crucial vitamins other than vitamin A.

Edit: perhaps this could be an option, if he can tolerate krill? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HV4AFDK/ TCS keeps breaking Amazon links, so you’d be best off copy-pasting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are you at all able to get Felini Complete where you are? May be the simplest option, as liver has high levels of crucial vitamins other than vitamin A.

Edit: perhaps this could be an option, if he can tolerate krill? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HV4AFDK/ TCS keeps breaking Amazon links, so you’d be best off copy-pasting.
Hmm I hadn't heard of that one. I can't find any sellers for it in the US though. :(

I'm 99.9% sure he won't be able to tolerate krill, although I haven't tested it specifically. Considering he can't even handle pharma grade oil, or anything else related to fish oil (shrimp oil etc.) idk if it's worth the risk.

After a few hours of research I was able to find an Asian market called "Weee!" (lol) that delivers all over California and carries pig liver and lamb liver and the delivery is free! So this solves the immediate dilemma but idk if it would be good to mix pork liver with other meats like chicken, duck etc. if we want to avoid possible future allergies.