How much to feed

njg55

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You'd think I would know, having had cats for many years. However, I'm in uncertain territory with my four cats right now. I had two cats for several years, after a couple of losses, and about six weeks ago adopted two new ones, adults, and am back up to four. The new ones are small cats, less than 10 pounds each. They were fed a different brand of food at their shelter than I use, and although I've mostly got everyone transitioned to the brand I had been using for quite a while, I still have a few cans of the shelter flavor to use up and am also using a new flavor of the old, familiar. Lots going on here, and some vomiting by one or more cats (usually not sure who). The one who I think is usually getting sick was just prescribed Cerenia, which is supposed to stop vomiting, but if this cat is the culprit, it's not working. Still in touch with the vet working on this; I've posted separately about it.. Anyway, I'm wondering if I'm feeding them enough, and if I"m not, maybe they're eating too quickly and that's part of the problem. I feed them one 3-oz can, split four ways, in the morning and another in the evening. Dried food is available all day and replenished if needed. They're not crazy about the dried, but they are eating some of it. Should I add a mid-day feeding in the same amount?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree; drop the kibble. It will make mine vomit if eaten first thing in the morning. I give them pate in the morning, either Sheba or FF Delites. A 3-oz can split four ways isn't enough. Split it two ways in the morning and at lunch, then give them a whole can each in the evening. This is approximately what mine get, and Mingo weighs 12 lbs. and Lily, 9 lbs.

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed 3 cats 3 times a day. Maggie and Coco 5.5 oz can Peaches 4.5 oz. None of them eat the same food. Maggie shredded meat ,Coco pate,flat bowl, Peaches small chunks. Maggie and Peaches elevated bowls. Also freeze dried treats,churu,and tiki sticks

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed three cats three times a day. At each meal, they either share two 3 oz cans or one 5.5 oz can. Then after they eat the wet food, they get some dry food until they walk away from their bowls. No food is left out for grazing. For what it’s worth, one of my cats is prone to vomiting/regurgitation, and when I upped her wet food and lowered her dry food, the vomiting became much less frequent.