How much to feed spayed 10 month old?

chelsmarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone I’m hoping you can help. I’m a bit confused about how much to feed my cat. She is still technically a kitten, but has been spayed since April (even before I adopted her). Should I be feeding her using “spayed adult” or “growing kitten” guidelines? The adult calories would be around 200 or less, the kitten almost double. She is probably about 8-9 lbs. I have to say her appetite is not huge, I’m lucky if she’ll eat 6 oz of wet food a day. Usually it’s more like 4-5 oz and a small handful of dry when I’m at work. Also, I rarely see her drink water…do you think she is getting enough hydration from the food? She drank more when I didn’t know better and fed her dry food only.

Thanks for your help!
Chelsea

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats of this age can eat all stages food. No point in trying to feed her more than she wants.
Her weight sounds good to me and so does the amount she's eating. You certainly don't want to wind up with an overweight cat.
All food has the calorie counts on the packaging so easy enough to calculate how many calories she's getting daily. 200 is fine - it's about what both of my adult cats eat give or take.
She's probably getting enough hydration from the wet food. If you aren't using a fountain you may want to consider getting one as most of the cats I know enjoy drinking from them.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat is 9 lbs and spayed. She is an indoor cat, but not inactive I maintain her at 40 cals per meal, 4 meals a day. It would be unusual for her to eat 6 ozs a day, but it depends on the food. Cat food has a wide variety of cal/oz. I feed anywhere from 1.2 - 2.2oz to make a 40 calorie meal. You really have to do the math for your food to know what you should feed her, however, to me it is worth it.