How much space is needed for 2 cats

supergirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone

I live in a 360 sq ft studio, and I have recently gotten a (now 12 week old) female kitten.

I'm starting to think of getting a playmate for her but I'm afraid my studio's too small. Plus I don't know which is better, to get a male or a female? She had 2 litter mates at the pet shop, a male and a female, not sure though that they're still there.

I know I'll need to double everything, dishes, litter box and scratch post.

My studio has two wide windows with sills that she loves to lounge on, and I have a fish tank for visual stimulation.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With cats, it's more important to have enrichment than lots of space. Windows, vertical climbing options like cat trees or shelves, and lots of toys that you rotate to keep things interesting are all examples of enrichment. I think getting another kitten would be wonderful, and now is the perfect time to do it. If she were an adult cat it would better to have a separate room to keep the new cat in at the beginning to help ease the transition, but kittens mostly just love having another cat to play with immediately, so introductions should be pretty easy.

Kittens really do best having a playmate, especially when you're gone and you can't play with them or keep them company. They also learn a lot of cat manners by growing up with another cat, so they're less likely to bite you when they're playing because they learn that it can hurt.

It probably doesn't matter to much if you get a male or female, because kittens are all really similar at that age. There might be a tendency for females to get along better with males, but lots of cats have best friends of the same gender, so it's not always the case. If you do get a male, it's important to be very diligent about getting everyone fixed if they're not already. Kittens can be safely neutered and spayed once they're 2 lbs, and earlier is better, because they can reach sexual maturity as early as 4 months.

What might matter a little bit is the age and size of the second kitten. You don't want one of the kittens to be significantly bigger so they'll be evenly matched during play and you don't have to worry about one of them not being able to fend for itself when the play gets too rough.

Cat trees or other forms of vertical climbing space will be important, especially as the cats get older, so if they do occasionally want a break from each other they can climb up somewhere and hang out by themselves.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

supergirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Molly! I really appreciate the feedback! I'm thinking of getting Cotton (my current kitten) spayed but still haven't made up my mind. I feel like it's a bit harsh. 

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi @Supergirl  - Welcome to TCS. Is that Cotton in your avatar?

I can't offer any help with the 2 kittens query, but I did want to comment on your uncertainty in getting Molly spayed. I can understand how it seems harsh, however, if you do not get females cats spayed they will continue to have heat cycles until they get pregnant. And then they will start having heat cycles again soon after, possibly even before the kittens are weaned.  

Here's an article on the site that might be of help:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/why-you-should-spay-and-neuter-your-cats

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Going into heat is definitely uncomfortable for female kitties, so it is kinder if they're spayed before they ever have to experience that, not to mention it greatly reduces her chance of reproductive cancers.

The surgery is very routine and young kittens especially do really well! Because they are growing so fast at that age they heal very quickly and recover much faster than an adult cat does. She will be under anesthesia for the actually surgery, so all she will remember is going to the vet or clinic, meeting some new people, and then waking up at home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

supergirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Rubysmama and Molly! I guess I will check it out with my vet the next time I'm there, which will be in a few days. and yes! that's Cotton, my baby girl in my avatar! She's the best thing that ever happened to me, especially when she sits on top of me when I lay down and purrs, it's like sending warmth directly to my heart >3

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I thought that must be Cotton in your avatar. Perfect name for her, as she looks like an adorable little cotton ball.