How much slippery elm would you recommend?

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I just recently got some slippery elm (Now Foods: 400mg capsules) after reading about the possible benefits from rawfeedingforibdcats.org. As a natural supplement I know that it's effects are not going to be the same as a prescription medication, but I figured it could be worth a shot for Morty.

As his other thread mentions, he likely has IBD and experiences frequent vomiting as his main symptom. Since we're now done with his meds for his most recent ER visit I'm hoping to find something to potentially help with his nausea. Before his most recent visit, we had gotten his vomiting down to about once a week, give or take. This usually would be a session of 3-4 vomit piles and he'd always regain his appetite almost immediately after. Just to be clear this was never from regurgitation, but likely food allergies or some other type of GI upset.

Anyway, I've explored a ton of other threads on here asking about slippery elm but I'm still unsure of how much to give him. I know that cats cannot overdose on this, but I would like to avoid potential diarrhea as well as spending more money on it than necessary, if by chance it does work. Also, since he's currently grazing (with his recent mild weight loss I don't want to change this), one of my other cats Po also has access to the food. Is slippery elm known to cause any effects on cats without any issues? From everything I've read it looks really safe, but I would just like to hear other's opinions on the subject.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use SE often for my ferals that are in my yard because it is almost impossible to medicate them separately. There have been no ill effects on the healthy kitties. Our youngest feral is 7 and the oldest is definitely over 18. If my vet approved SE for my cat, I would make a paste out of 1 capsule and simmer slowly in 1 cup of fresh, clean (not municipal tap) water, covered, for 10-15 minutes. As maintenance, i would add 1 teasp/mL of decocotion to his food twice a day and see how he does.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't specifically know what the dose of slippery elm is. But I also know that whatever I tried to sneak in, Krista wanted none of it. If you have the smidgen-pinch-dash measuring spoons (and if you don't, you should get them!), I'd start with a smidgen (which is 1/32 tsp) and wait a full poop before adjusting the dose. If Morty doesn't mind and it doesn't make matters worse, you can go to the next spoon (pinch=1/16th tsp.) Keep going a poop at a time until you find the magic dose that works best for him.

Or go with the sound and solid advice above me. :yeah:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for the advice! Last night I mixed one capsule with the usual alnutrin/probiotic/fish oil/collagen/s. boulardii mixture and blended it with .5lb of cooked venison/heart/liver. I locked Morty in our room over night so I could see how much he ate. It wasn't very much, and when I let him out he went straight for the canned wet food. I didn't put it together but he may have avoided it if he didn't like the taste.

I will try a much smaller amount tonight and simmer it up in water like suggested. Hopefully he takes better to it this way.