How much sleep is too much sleep?

hannahe01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just curious about y’all’s opinions on this! My two year old kitty mochi loves his naps. On average I would say he naps/sleeps about 14-17 hours per day. Usually we have a play session first thing in the early morning before breakfast, he naps, if I’m home during the day we may have a shorter play sesh in the afternoon, and he naps. And then before bed/dinner I try to play with him again (which is hit or miss, he seems to love playing in the morning as opposed to night time.)

some days he’ll play more than others (for example yesterday he played quite a bit! About 1 1/2 hours total.) and then other days not so much. (Today it’s maybe been about 20-30 minutes total, although it’s been raining and dark all day.)

I’m just wondering if this is a relatively normal activity level for a two year old cat. He does play every day. Whether it’s for 1+ hours or only 15-20 minutes total. he doesn’t seem lethargic. He’s alert when he’s awake and loves to watch out the window. I do wish he was more playful most days so I know that he’s not bored or depressed. But he’s eating and drinking and using the box just fine. No cause for concern here right?!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know that there is such a thing as too much sleep in a cat. First, you probably don’t know what he is doing all night long and some cats stay awake for a good part of the night and then sleep all day. As long as he sees the vet regularly, is eating, using his litterbox and not having a sudden change in behavior then I wouldn’t worry. As far as play the best way to encourage play is to provide him with a wide variety of toys and rotate the, so they are something new to him. These don’t need to be store bought toys. He may like a cardboard box or a sheet of tissue paper, you don’t know what might appeal to them. My girl is eleven and her current favorite toys are plastic shot glasses the the cardboard tube from toilet paper rolls. I just set stuff down and see if she takes an interest.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hannahe01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don’t know that there is such a thing as too much sleep in a cat. First, you probably don’t know what he is doing all night long and some cats stay awake for a good part of the night and then sleep all day. As long as he sees the vet regularly, is eating, using his litterbox and not having a sudden change in behavior then I wouldn’t worry. As far as play the best way to encourage play is to provide him with a wide variety of toys and rotate the, so they are something new to him. These don’t need to be store bought toys. He may like a cardboard box or a sheet of tissue paper, you don’t know what might appeal to them. My girl is eleven and her current favorite toys are plastic shot glasses the the cardboard tube from toilet paper rolls. I just set stuff down and see if she takes an interest.
He’s got soooo many toys! Most of which he doesn’t care for. He’s got about three or four that he likes so I try to rotate them out. Although one in particular he plays with daily (literally a long wire I drag on the floor lol) he’s super picky with toys/other things as well. He’s hard to please!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would keep trying different toys. Usually as a cat gets older they start to lose interest in the chase kind of toys, like wand/string or laser, but still will play with other things.