How much should my long hair kitty weigh?

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know her weight, 9.3 pounds. But is she overweight? I can't tell because she's long hair, so I can't see the ribs, and her fur fluffs out, so I don't know exactly what her figure is like. How do I judge?

Poppy got diagnosed with arthritis, so I am trying to make her a comfortable as possible. I don't think she's drastically overweight, but if she's a small framed kitty, then maybe shedding a half pound or so would help.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is harder to tell with long haired kitties. You should be able to feel her ribs though. I know the vet said you should be able to feel most of the organs as well, but I don't think most of us know how to do that. I think your best bet is to ask the vet at the next visit to tell you what Poppy's optimal weight should be. I definitely think that with arthritis you are right that carrying any extra weight is not good on the joints. What a great mommy you are to think of that!

tx_kat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our longhair girl weighs 9.6 pounds, and you can feel her ribs, spine and internal organs.  You can see a nice body taper from above, and cannot see a big belly paunch from the side.  If anything, she mght be a little on the skinny side.  Your best bet is to ask your vet if you are concerned.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our longhair was 7.2 when weighed in January.  We, and the vet, agreed she needed to gain a little weight, as she was somewhat underweight.  She now probably is around 8 or so.  You can still feel her organs, and ribs and she hasn't developed visible paunch.  

She isn't quite as longhaired as lets say a Persian so maybe it's easier for us.  She does seem on the petite side overall; her face being rather small. We're trying hard not to let her gain anymore.  

9 doesn't sound too large to me for yours, however, your vet would certainly know better, especially with an underlying health issue.  Depends on the overall size of the cat I'd think - a larger type would be able to carry it better than one known for being slight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tips, everyone!

The most I get from the vet is that "She's OK," that's why I ask here. They probably don't get a lot of customers that are that exacting about their pet's weight. From the way they're saying it, it sounds like she might be a little pudgy, maybe 5% overweight.