How much $$$ should I pay for this blood test?

sandsoftime

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Otis has (slightly) high calcium level, and the vet said she wanted to do a blood test for (I think) hyperparathyroid. She said that this would run approx $200 - $225.

However, I've been hearing that it's better to first test for ionized calcium, and that this blood test would be cheaper.

I've been a little suspicious of my vet, and just want to check that I'm being treated fairly. So, does anybody know a ballpark figure of how much I should expect to pay to check his ionized calcium level?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would call another vet near you and get a quote ... I found something as easy as ear cleaning can be a 100.00 different in the same area..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sandsoftime

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK, that's not a bad idea.

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm..I suspect you are getting a bit of a raw deal here - Unfortunately what happens is the vet is charged by the pathology company at a certain price and vets tend to charge 3-4 times this amount to the client. So a test that cost the vet $30 end up cost you $120!! They have excessive profit margins on blood work unfortunately.

But ringing around is definately a good way to go!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sandsoftime

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is weird. I called a vet nearby, and they quoted me a price of $74 to check his ionized calcium level. I then called my own vet, and they told me that they charge $150!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I called my vet, he charges $55.00 for this test. I think it just all depends on the vet and the clinic. Most bloodwork is sent out to labs, so the vet has to cover that fee as well.

mrod1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Vet Charged me only $80 for a full blood pannel, and checked for everything. Eitherway, it looks like you are being over charged. It shouldn't go over $120 anywhere.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently paid $120 for a full blood panel and it included tests for toxoplasmosis, FIP, Felv, and FIV. When I told my coworker this she was shocked because she just did a toxo only test for $200. I also found out the actual cost to the lab was $70 because I asked her if I could split it up over a couple weeks and she said that they at least need the 70 for the lab up front. Then she didn't charge me the office visit either.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My vets that I use all have in house labs so prices are more reasonable a full panel including senior stuff was 70 I think..