How Much Should I Feed My Cat

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, i recently "adopted" my stray cat. She's estimate to be of 7yrs old of age and 3kg. A tortie cat. She's here with me for close to a month now and i would like to know how much should i feed her. My sister say i'm overfeeding her but i have no idea? I feed her sheba 85g wet food once i wake up, and another time when i am back from work, so about 12 hour gap. In between, i free feed dry food (small portion) so that she will eat finish my canned food. I think she's eats really slow too. She likes to eat halfway...stop...play around...when she's done...go back to the bowl and eat. As i have to wash the dish after feeding her wet food, i will always chase after her and place the food in front of her. Also, she always meows really loudly when i come into the room to feed her. So to cope with her meowing at me all the time, i heard automatic pet feeder does wonders...so i bought it to try - but i have no idea on how to set the timer. Just now i did a mock run on the feeder and set it to 50g...it seems a lot for her but if i were to put it overnight i think she will sure to finish it... so when will i put the next timer? I'm so lost here..appreciate to have get any advise.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello! The best way to tell how much to feed is based on cat weight and food calories. The general guideline is 20-25 kcal per pound to maintain weight, depending on activity level. So I would calculated how much she should be eating and portion out the food. Then pick a few times you want to feed her and try the timed feeder then.

I also have a stray tortie, and was was super food motivated when we first took her in. She’s eat any food I gave her and plumped up fast on all the kibble. She even stole out dinner occasionally. Over time this calmed down and now she’s a little pickier. Hopefully yours will too, and stop meowing for food as much.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Did you get directions/a user guide with the timer?

Can you start weighing your kitty? This chart might help so that you'd know if your cat is at an appropriate weight;

https://www.petmd.com/sites/default/files/nestle_purina_cat_body_condition_chart_crop.jpg

These articles aren't lengthy but have good information that along with the great advice above will hopefully help you to determine how best to feed your baby :)

18 Awesome Cat Feeding Tips By Thecatsite Staff Members

How Long Can You Safely Keep Cat Food Out For?

How To Compare Cat Foods & Calculate Carbs: Dry Matter Basis

What Makes The Best Canned Cat Food?

How Much Food Should I Feed My Cat?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What brand of feeder did you buy? Usually the manufacturer has a web site and you can get instruction manuals there.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The right amount of food really depends on the cat (breed, age, sex) and activity level which isn't the same every day. The ideal weight for domestic short-hair female cats including torties is around 4-4,5 kgs. Try to weigh the cat on the same digital scale the same day every week. The next time you go to the vet have them weigh the cat there, then weigh at home with your own scale. This way you will also know if the one at home weights incorrect and calculate the difference later.

My own adult cat eats more than the suggested amount but she's never been overweight. At most she had maybe like 200grams extra for a few days.

Eating small portions throughout the day is better for their health by the way so your cat is doing the right thing by taking breaks. :-) Just make sure the wet food doesn't stay outside for long. I usually split one can of 80grams wet food into two different servings.

Also my cat gets obsessed with food ONLY if she doesn't see any food outside. For this reason there's always some dry food on her plate. She doesn't overeat. Of course these things depend on the cat. Just to say there is usually no "one size fits all".

If there was no typo, 3 kg sounds underweight. If she eats enough and still stays at 3 I would suspect of worms first. Did she get dewormed? Most dewormers don't treat all kinds of worms so she might still have a worm even if they treated her for like 2 kinds of worms.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The right amount of food really depends on the cat (breed, age, sex) and activity level which isn't the same every day. The ideal weight for domestic short-hair female cats including torties is around 4-4,5 kgs. Try to weigh the cat on the same digital scale the same day every week. The next time you go to the vet have them weigh the cat there, then weigh at home with your own scale. This way you will also know if the one at home weights incorrect and calculate the difference later.

My own adult cat eats more than the suggested amount but she's never been overweight. At most she had maybe like 200grams extra for a few days.

Eating small portions throughout the day is better for their health by the way so your cat is doing the right thing by taking breaks. :-) Just make sure the wet food doesn't stay outside for long. I usually split one can of 80grams wet food into two different servings.

Also my cat gets obsessed with food ONLY if she doesn't see any food outside. For this reason there's always some dry food on her plate. She doesn't overeat. Of course these things depend on the cat. Just to say there is usually no "one size fits all".

If there was no typo, 3 kg sounds underweight. If she eats enough and still stays at 3 I would suspect of worms first. Did she get dewormed? Most dewormers don't treat all kinds of worms so she might still have a worm even if they treated her for like 2 kinds of worms.
She has been to the vet several times and it’s always at 3kg..I haven’t got her vaccinated and dewormed yet and I’ll make sure to do it at the earliest time. Is it wrong to feed her 2 cans of 85g wet food a day? She usually finish it.

Nowadays I feel like she’s getting bored of our house and wants to get out....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
no, not wrong, and can you supplement with some kibble?

How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)
Hey! Thanks for the article.. my room is quite small...and she isn't allowed out of the room so...i'm trying my best to give her loads of entertainment in the room. Its either her back into the "wild" or she stays in my room. 2 options and i don't have a choice. I have actually installed a cat condo but she doesn't dare to step foot on it.. lol. She only reacts to my feather wand and the small scratching post on the ground. I bought all kinds of toy for her...whether she uses it, it's another problem.

I do leave small amounts of dry food on the timed feeder..she will time to time feed on it but she still waits for me to come back to feed on the wet food. Is dry food = kibble or is cat treats = kibble? If it's cat treats, i only give her 5 small treat per day and sometimes i use it to motivate to come to me. Am i wrong here?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I meant kibble as dry food. Your use of the treats is correct :)

Last edited:

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it wrong to feed her 2 cans of 85g wet food a day? She usually finish it
That’s probably not enough alone. Though you say you also give dry food in addition but the amount might be less than needed. Hima also gets 2 cans of 80-85gr a day and also dry food. Sometimes eats just a few, sometimes maybe 40-60 grams depending on her appetite and activity level that day and the day before. I wouldn’t be strick about the food amount until the kitty gets dewormed. If she has worms she’s sharing some nutrition with the worm :( Just trt to weigh her on your scale the same day every week