How much should i feed kittens

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The boy, 6 months old 4.45lbs and girls 5 months 4.39 pounds. I'm currently feeding 120 calories. Is that too much/little?
They're eating iams kitten dry

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Can you feed them canned food? Several meals of canned food daily, plus a little kibble will be a better, healthier ratio for them. Whichever the case, they need to be able to eat as much as they want in order to provide their growth with the nutrition that's required.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Adult cats need between 24 to 35 calories a day per pound, to keep cats at a normal, healthy weight. So a 5lb cat will need around 150 calories a day.

However, kittens need much more than adult cats do, as they're still growing. Feeding them a nutritious diet in their first year to two years will ensure strong bones and mean less health problems as they age. I've found that kittens can eat at least double the amount an adult cat can. It's virtually impossible to over feed a cat of that age.

Aim for around 250 to 300 calories a day, if they will eat that much. Canned is better for their health, with a bit of kibble to make up the extra calories.

czuva

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Chewy has a helpful chart of average calories needed per pound for kittens.

According to the chart, 4lb kitten on average needs 272 calories/day, and a 5lb kitten needs 327 calories/day. So for your 4-5lb kittens anywhere between there is probably good, though people generally say to give kittens as much as they can eat. 120 calories/day seems low, though calorie needs to vary.

My 5lb kitten eats ~350 calories/day, but she's a larger breed (Maine Coon) and they tend to eat a bit more due to their size/growth needs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
wow definitely sounds im under feeding my kitties, no wonder they're always hungry. i will aim for 250 calories/day until the 12 when they see the vet.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kittens eat a ton of food so ignore the feeding instructions on package labels and suggested calorie amounts. Just feed kittens as much as they will eat. You can't overfeed them. Most people leave a bowl of dry food out for snacking on and provide scheduled canned food meals a few times a day. When the kittens reach a year old or so, you can transition to less dry and more canned food.