How Much Raw Liver For Anemic Cat?

Sandy Beach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vet suggested adding adding raw liver to Moons diet as her hematocrit was low. Very low after both surgeries. We are back up to 28 now but the Dr. wants to see it increase.
We spoke about raw liver but it just seems to give her the runs.
I was told an ounce a day would be a good place to start, but that was too much. I took it down to half an ounce and that sill makes her bowels a little loose.
Anyone have experience with this?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Be careful with liver even under a vet's supervision. Too much liver can cause vitamin A toxicity in cats. How often are you supposed to give liver? With every meal? Weekly? Does the vet have other alternatives to help the anemia?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sandy Beach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply!!

Liver once a day for 2 weeks, then we will retest. I can break it up into multiple meals or serve it all at once. I have it all weighed out in 1/2 ounce pieces and just started breaking it up into each meal to see if that solves any digestive upset.

Since it’s regenetive anemia, she just needs a little boost to help her along. I’m aware of the vitamin A toxicity concerns, but from my limited understanding (please correct me if I am wrong) short term use of liver in small doses shouldn’t cause any toxicity issues.

Maybe I should take it down to every other day? I won’t serve it any longer than 2 weeks regardless of what a vet suggests. I’m even considering eliminating it from her diet completely.

At this time I haven’t been given other options besides rest and diet. I know the rest and healing is the most important. She is confined to a large dog kennel with a litter box, bed, food & water until Monday.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This may have some info Anemia - Regenerative Or Non Regenerative?

Would freeze dried liver be ok to give? :think: Freeze drying wouldn't affect the iron or other nutrients in the liver. You can ask the vet. Are you giving raw chicken livers? Maybe it doesn't agree with your cat's tummy? Try liver from another animal. Ethnic markets sometimes have beef liver and other livers. I give my cat Northwest Naturals freeze dried bison liver.

Sandy Beach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Beef liver is what I am currently using. Freeze dried would present an issue at since she is still recovering from a half mouth extraction. I’ve tried soaking freeze dried liver in water for my pup with MegaEsophagus in the past and it just ends up rubbery. So I don’t think that’s an option right now.
Side note: I always thought any modifications (freeze dried, cooking, freezing) killed most of the nutrients? Learned something new! Thanks!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Preservation methods like freezing has minimal impact on the nutrients. Cooking does destroy nutrients because heat breaks them down.

Maybe crush up dry freeze dried liver into powder and sprinkle onto soupy canned food?

Sandy Beach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That’s a great idea! I could totally hug you for that! Lol

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you asked your vet about iron medicine? When my cat was anemic he wouldn't eat liver -- period end of story. The vet gave us a tincture (not homeopathic, this was a regular vet) -- liquid iron medicine much like what we took as kids. It came with a dropper stopper. Kitty flung it about, so I can add the stuff was brown and sticky, but came off the walls with dish detergent. Most important some of it went inside kitty, who recovered.

This was a long time ago, so they may not have it currently, but it was much easier than trying to get him to eat liver. He spit it out as soon as it was in his mouth and hacked any bits that he accidentally swallowed.

Sandy Beach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Interesting. I like to do things through diet first before trying supplements or medications (when I can) but it’s def something I will look into.
She has no issues eating the liver. Seems to enjoy it quite a bit.