How much playtime does a 2 year old adult cat need?

hannahe01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all! Happy Wednesday! I’m just curious on everyone’s opinion on this subject. I play with my cat as much as he’ll allow me to. Lol some days he’s moody and others he plays alllll throughout the day! But we never miss a day of play. I make it a point to play daily, multiple times. (Usually 2-3 times a day... OR multiple mini sessions depending on his mood)

how much playtime do you guys think a 2 year old adult kitty needs to be happy and healthy?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
how much playtime do you guys think a 2 year old adult kitty needs to be happy and healthy?
As many times as he would like to play but it all depends on the cat. Some are more active than others and also depending on your energy level.

My boy is 5+ years old and he plays quite a bit, at least 5 - 6 times a day. His favorite toy is the ball. So I play 'football' with him. I never fail to play with him as and when he wants to play.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hannahe01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As many times as he would like to play but it all depends on the cat. Some are more active than others and also depending on your energy level.

My boy is 5+ years old and he plays quite a bit, at least 5 - 6 times a day. His favorite toy is the ball. So I play 'football' with him. I never fail to play with him as and when he wants to play.
My cat is pretty low energy most of the time. He still plays daily. Some more than others of course but I always offer the opportunity and sometimes I can tell when he wants to. Lol. I always wonder if he’s getting enough tho

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My cat is pretty low energy most of the time. He still plays daily. Some more than others of course but I always offer the opportunity and sometimes I can tell when he wants to. Lol. I always wonder if he’s getting enough tho
If he still plays daily, then it should be ok. Maybe you like to try to inject some energy encouraging game with him to get him more active? Like I mentioned earlier, some cats are more active than others. So, innovating games to make them more active is on our part but if the cat refuses to move to play at that level, it's just them.

You can try out different ways to play with him and find out which game or toy interest him most. I remember buying lots of toys for my boy but he does not like to play with them. The ball was the only thing he likes since he came back at 3 weeks old till now. It's the same ball. Also he likes to play with a folded plastic bag in a form of a small triangle. The other thing I found out was he likes paper balls too. So he likes things that rolls. You have to find out what interest you cat most and probably that will draw him out to play more and increase his energy level.

Sometime my boy likes to play chase. So I'll chase him all over the house :lol: It all depends what he wants to play. I let him pick his choice of play.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hannahe01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If he still plays daily, then it should be ok. Maybe you like to try to inject some energy encouraging game with him to get him more active? Like I mentioned earlier, some cats are more active than others. So, innovating games to make them more active is on our part but if the cat refuses to move to play at that level, it's just them.

You can try out different ways to play with him and find out which game or toy interest him most. I remember buying lots of toys for my boy but he does not like to play with them. The ball was the only thing he likes since he came back at 3 weeks old till now. It's the same ball. Also he likes to play with a folded plastic bag in a form of a small triangle. The other thing I found out was he likes paper balls too. So he likes things that rolls. You have to find out what interest you cat most and probably that will draw him out to play more and increase his energy level.

Sometime my boy likes to play chase. So I'll chase him all over the house :lol: It all depends what he wants to play. I let him pick his choice of play.
Oh beleive me I do! Hahaha I’ve tried absolutely everything he’s so picky. He likes wand toys, and loves his ripple rug so we play with those. Sometimes he likes makeup sponges and hair clips especially if I throw them. I turned his cat dancer toy into a two for one by taping plastic on the other end and he chases it. He likes toys that I make better than any toy I’ve ever bought 😂 holding his attention is the most difficult part!

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Oh beleive me I do! Hahaha I’ve tried absolutely everything he’s so picky. He likes wand toys, and loves his ripple rug so we play with those. Sometimes he likes makeup sponges and hair clips especially if I throw them. I turned his cat dancer toy into a two for one by taping plastic on the other end and he chases it. He likes toys that I make better than any toy I’ve ever bought 😂 holding his attention is the most difficult part!
That's great! :thumbsup: