How much play time?

jeannem

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I try to play with Suki every morning for a bit. I DO have other house work responsibilities though. I try to use the flirt pole for a little whenever she is out and about. I try to get her breathing hard. So how long should I be doing this. Suki will be 5 this winter.
j

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
She probably lets you know when she is ready to play and also when she is done. A good hard play session once a day is plenty. Some adult cats can go for fifteen minutes and some are done in a few. It is good though to rotate all of her toys, switch out her self play toys regularly and periodically introduce new things that she may find fun to play with like a sheet of tissue paper . Older cats also may like hunting games when you hide treats for them to find, and puzzle type games as well.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! They let me know when it's time. Usually before meal. Maggie is an exception. Before,after,mid day and night. She's 7

meowpassion

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
fully agree with susanm9006, 10-15 minute play session on a regular basis, and it's very important to remember about weekly or bi-weekly toys rotation. susanm9006 susanm9006 - it's awesome advice. While I was preparing my post about cat toys rotation only Jury (Helpful Vancouver vet) mentioned that, and you are the second person who talked that.