How much milk kefir can I give my 22-yr-old cat?

dwdanby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I started making homemade milk kefir last year. It comes out light and delicious, no sourness. In this country people tend to say, just drink a cup a day. However my Russian roommate says people drink it all day, from childhood on. In the same vein, I searched this forum and found advice to give very little kefir to a cat, and I'm wondering, can more help and not hurt him? I mean, not a whole cup, maybe closer to 1/8 cup is all he'd want, and I'd build up very slowly since it can cause loose stool for a bit. But it's so healthy, effectively lactose-free, and full of the very best bacteria. What do folks here think?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd give him a little, maybe a teaspoon at first, see how it affects him, and work up from there. But yeah, it's pretty healthy so as long as his tummy agrees I don't see a problem with giving him a couple tablespoons a day. If he gets too much he might not eat enough food, though, especially at his age, so keep an eye on that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dwdanby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd give him a little, maybe a teaspoon at first, see how it affects him, and work up from there. But yeah, it's pretty healthy so as long as his tummy agrees I don't see a problem with giving him a couple tablespoons a day. If he gets too much he might not eat enough food, though, especially at his age, so keep an eye on that.
Very good point. Right now he eats every scrap and begs me for more, hence the search for healthy extra food for him. He's getting an exam and bloodwork this week, so if there's an issue there hopefully we'll catch it.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
According to the website FoodFurLife.com, they recommend starting out at only 1/8 teas. for a few days, then slowly doubling that amount until you reach up to one Tablespoon per day. If the cat has any reaction, they say to try making the Kefir with goat's milk and if that doesn't work, try a double fermentation of it. There are some cats that can't tolerate it though.

Raul-7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kefir is like the one of the best natural probiotics. Honestly, I'm thinking of adding it to their raw diet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dwdanby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is in seventh heaven right now, he's eating all I give him. I would say he's eating 2-3 tablespoons a day and no digestive issues at all. I love the stuff too. Win-win.

Lazy Orange House Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our veterinarian said don't give cats dairy because even if it doesn't give them diarrhea (which in many cases it will) it can cause urinary tract problems down the road. A cow's milk is for her calf.