How Much Litter Do You Use Weekly/monthly?

southerncatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We are currently using a 28lb box of Arm & Hammer Multi-Cat Clump litter. We've had our two kittens for a week now and I scoop out their boxes daily sometimes two times. After one week we've went through the entire box of litter. Is this normal? Jackson seems to really love kicking his litter out of the box while covering this business but Emma is pretty gentle and doesn't make a mess. I usually replace the litter that I scooped out so that there isn't any of the bottom of the litter box showing.

I'm really just curious if others use this much litter?

Also sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going through 42 lbs of Fresh Step every 3-3 1/2 weeks for four cats and we were using 1 or 2 boxes.
Now boyfriend has me using paper litter pellets and we're going through at least 100 lbs of litter in a month, and we have 3 boxes out (new house/diff floorplan).
I honestly don't remember how much litter I was going through with 2 of my cats when they were younger, but we were using pine until they grew taller and had their faces away from the litter because I didn't want them inhaling any clay dust, and they each had their own box.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I use non-medicated chicken crumbles from a feed store. $15 for a 50lb bag and lasts me about 3 months with two cats and one box.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
That is an awful lot of litter! I go through 28 pounds of World's Best Cat Litter about every five weeks - that's with two healthy cats and one large box. When I had 2 senior cats, one with kidney problems, I went through it faster but even then it was never as fast as a week.

This is an interesting question and I'm looking forward to reading the answers. I'm sure there are a lot of variables that go into how much litter is used per week, such as size of box, food and water intake and health of cats, and type of litter. As you've discovered, the amount kicked out of the box can also have an impact although I'm having a hard time imagining one kitten being responsible for that much litter. Is he making sand castles? :biggrin:

(This is the right forum, btw) .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

southerncatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your input! I may have to get Jackson a litter box with higher edges that boy has a high kick!

That is an awful lot of litter!
I agree! I don't go over with how much I put in there. Though they do potty a lot and they both have their own box. I definitely want to find something that may last longer.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh man, I know how you feel. I use two Jumbo litterboxes and they take a little over 20 pounds each just to fill them! And then I add about 8oz every day when I scoop. I hate it, but I just don't think my cats would fit in any smaller size. They are normal size cats, 9 pounds and 13 pounds, but the size Large looks too small, so I always get Jumbo

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Three cats, two litter boxes and I use 8/10 Ltrs of Bob Martin Felight a week. One of them also goes in the garden quite a bit.

DeannaF

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I go through a 25 lb box about every 3 weeks.

I complete change out and wash his litter box once a week and refill with about 3 inches of cat litter.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens often eat more food than an adult cat...so they pee and poop more often. I would expect you will use less litter when they get older.

I purchase a 40lb box of unscented clumping litter approximately once a month (or buy 3-4 boxes when they go on sale) for a large senior cat who pees "huge lakes" plus an almost 9-month old kitten. I think a box lasts longer than a month, but I haven't really paid that much attention.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I go through 2 of the boxes of Precious Cats litter per month. The box is 18 lbs.

One entire box goes in the litter box, the other is for refilling during the month. I usually change out the litter, wash the box, every 3-4 weeks.. mostly every 3 weeks.

This is for one cat.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
For one adult cat with one jumbo litter box, I go through a 15 kg/33 lb. bag of clumping clay litter every three to four weeks (usually 4).

buddybellamom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We got through one 35 lb box of Tidy Cat about every month, month and half? Kit's an only cat and the box gets a total dump about every 3-4 wks. Scooped once a day (when the kids remember, lol) and we top off as we go. We use a covered jumbo size box, leftover from Buddy and Bella's days.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know how much a dump truck can haul?
basscat basscat - Most are nine cubic yards these days. Eighteen and a half bags to the cubic yard for clay litter, times twenty-seven is 499 bags to the dump truck. With sixty bags on a skid, that's eight and a half skids per truckload, which means... oh, dear Lord... why did you ask that?

;)

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The big one won't go outside. MUST use his inside litter box. And he w
basscat basscat - Most are nine cubic yards these days. Eighteen and a half bags to the cubic yard for clay litter, times twenty-seven is 499 bags to the dump truck. With sixty bags on a skid, that's eight and a half skids per truckload, which means... oh, dear Lord... why did you ask that?

;)
Then, that times 3. :lol:

whatever

"Lucky"
Adult Cat
Purraise
Old Phoebe here has beginning kidney disease so drinks and pees frequently. She is over 15 lb. I use the clump arm and hammer no scent and can only buy 28 lb as I cannot lift any heavier. That last me 2 to 3 weeks. It doesn't really matter. As we know, what queen bee needs she gets! LOL..