How much less do you cats eat in the summer?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have air conditioning, and use it, but nonetheless I've always noticed my cats eat less in the summer. This year it seems particularly striking, with my cats eating maybe 25% less. Just seems like a lot, and I always worry a bit about my scrawny girl cat, who technically might be a tad underweight. Not enough to do anything special with her, she is clearly healthy, but nonetheless this summer thing is concerning me a bit.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Our cat is usually less active in summer but his appetite is close to what it normally is in winter, maybe just a tad bit less.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cat is usually less active in summer but his appetite is close to what it normally is in winter, maybe just a tad bit less.
Hmmm. I have noticed it more so over the last week. I suppose there could be an illness. Its not the flavor of can, since we opened a new box mid-way and that didn't help. And usually they eat all the friskies flavors except for the "and cheese" flavors.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There are other threads that discuss this topic and many folks have said their cats do eat less in the summer. (of course, I can't find any of those threads at the moment :rolleyes2: Since your Avatar name seems to indicate you are in the northeast, it's been exceptionally hot up there, and humid, yes? Even though you are running the a/c, I'm thinking the cats can still feel the change in the air. I'm in the desert of AZ, and the humidity in the house, even with the a/c this year is much higher than usual right now since it's our "rainy season" AND we got a new a/c that for some reason is different. Our smart thermostat shows us the humidity in the house and it's actually running higher than outside! One of our cats is definitely eating less, and they are both less energetic than when it's cooler.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Up in Ontario Canada and yes our cats eat less in the summer. We feed wet and add extra water but we notice a HUGE appetite increase on cooler days.

We found dehumidifiers helped.

It never hurts to get some bloodwork done if you're worried about illness.