How much is too much? Litter tray usage

SteveJohn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well after recovering from biting her tail for weeks she is now doing well and not doing it anymore.

What’s concerned me though is she seems to be using her litter tray 4 times a day sometimes 5 for a wee. She doesn’t cry out in pain whilst doing it but this morning she went once then literally 10 mins later went again.

She is still indoors after having her tail shaved off etc and she does moan literally for ages but I think this might be to go out or she is bored.

Food seems to be hit and miss she eats but not loads of food. She does drink her water a bit but she never used to go this much really.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Watch her, I had a cat that did this out of nervousness too, so it may be that she wants to go out/is bored. This same cat did develop a UTI and he actually cried when he went. Of course on a holiday weekend. I was so scared about a blocked urethra, I called the vet and met him at 6AM the next morning after worrying all night because i saw no urine in the box. i learned one valuable lesson that day.....if it is a UTI the abdomen will feel normal if you press your fingers deep into it near/little above the junction of the legs coming together. If you feel a hard mass, like a softball, THAT is a blockage and is an emergency. He said it is hard to miss, and call him no matter when. He took one feel and prescribed antibiotics.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The number of times a cat urinates daily can vary between 2 and 4 daily (average/ normal). Check the amount of urine she is passing, is it a good size clump or only a few drops. Make a note of the times and quantities for a few days and if in any doubt phone your vet. The more information you can give your vet the better, so a record of the timing will be useful.