How much is too much....catnip?!

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure this is the right place for this...but here goes.

My friend gave me a catnip plant for my b-day. I've managed to put it up high enough to keep my monkeys out of it for now....but it's kinda far away from sunlight. When i first got home with it (and put it down to lock the door) rambo jumped on top of the plant and started eating. I stopped him from eating too much....

My question is....how much catnip is too much for cats to consume? Will they be harmed by overindulging or will they stop eating when they've had enough? How often should cats be given catnip?I'm worried that while i'm out they will get to the plant and go crazy! Lucky doesn't eat catnip (just rubs her face in it) so i'm not too worried about her....but rambo.....

Thanks in advance for you help!!

daddycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Catnip is both non-toxic and non-addictive to cats, thus I doubt you'll have any problem letting him have as much as he wants. The worst that could happen is a bit of barf if he really consumes too much.

duke816

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd still keep it away from them because it's MUCH more fun to be there to watch them get high on the stuff!!!
My cat doesn't get too into it, but my boyfriend's cat goes crazy on it.
Drooling, rolling around in it... it's very funny! I only get it from a woman I work with, so he only gets it a couple times a week. I find that if he gets it too often, he's not as interested in it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
( tongue in cheek) it is too much when kitty has to go to rehab