How Much Is A Male Calico Going For?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A male calico can only pass on one color, not both like females can. So if he passes on the red, and breeds with a dark (or calico who passes on the dark gene) female, the female kittens will be calico. If he passes on the black, and breeds with a red (or calico who passes on the red gene) female, the female kittens will be calico. Male kittens only get their color from their mother. Any reasons for a male to be calico are not genetic so he wouldn't pass any of that on to his offspring. So as far as what he passes on, he's the same as a red or black male (depending which one he passes on). That is to say, IF he's really the father of the neighborhood litters. Without controlled breeding or DNA testing there's no way to know.

And, yes, it's irresponsible to allow an intact male to roam freely. Statistically speaking, most of his offspring end up homeless :/.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never said I bred him...he is an outside cat and some of our neighbors have female cats which have had his kittens. I was just stating that I have a fertile male calico cat. Most people say they are sterile, I guess my cat is more precious than I thought he was before. I would never breed or sell him.
Sounds like you and your neighbors need to get you cats sprayed and neutered. What is the problem?

Muffy

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I never said I bred him...he is an outside cat and some of our neighbors have female cats which have had his kittens. I was just stating that I have a fertile male calico cat. Most people say they are sterile, I guess my cat is more precious than I thought he was before. I would never breed or sell him.
There's no guarantee he's the father of those kittens if he's an outside cat. The female is able to have kittens from several males at one pregnancy. They may have mated, but unlikely he actually fathered any of the ones she's had already.

ignited-red

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I said MALE CALICO. The veterinarian confirmed it. Today at the spay/neuter clinic I'm working with he had a gentleman bring in a male calico, about 4 months old. I'm getting photos of him tonight, but we want to know what a male calico goes for to a breeder if he is not sterile.
Hi there, never seen a calico male before, in Indonesia people just sell off that kind of cat because of the rarity.
It can cost about $700 and people went crazy about it, it is not good because you will love that kitty because he is calico male! it is not unconditional love.

I have a male cat that at first I thought he is male calico because his color pattern, 3 colors, but when he is older, that pattern color changing into brown color but his feet color are still 3 colors pattern, should that be a calico too?

HRC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If he's not already a purebred cat, then he would go for what any moggy would. Even if he is a purebred cat, just about every male calico is sterile, because males can only be calico if he has a particular genetic abnormality. Its very rare that they are fertile.

In other words, male calicos aren't really worth more than any other cat, though of course all cats are priceless. ;-)
https://petful101.com/cat/how-much-is-a-male-calico-cat-worth

Last edited by a moderator: