How much Feline Natural freeze dried to feed?

susiell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 10 pound cat and a 6 pound (4 month old) kitten.  They both eat raw food, and I've been playing around with different brands.  [I have to go freeze dried because frozen raw makes the kitten throw up and they have to eat the same thing because he always goes after the cat's food, and feeding them separately is not an option.]  I have bought some Feline Natural, which I've tested with the kitten (he likes), but I can't for the life of me figure out how much to feed him (or the cat).  The instructions on the back are useless (or I'm incredibly stupid!).  Can anyone who uses this food translate for me?  I'm trying to feed the 10 pounder about 250 calories a day, and the kitten needs at least that, if not more.  I'm also trying to figure out if it is more cost effective than Primal.

Thanks!

crowen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi.
Feline natural freeze dried is one of my faves. By k9, right?

The food should have come with a scoop. I believe it is 15g for 1.5 scoops, with 1 scoop of water, which makes 60g. This should be all the adult needs, but may ask for more. The kitten may need up to three times more.

If in doubt, give them 1 scoop worth each (probably more like 2 for the kitten). Then another if they ask for more.

One bag lasted me a little under a month when I was feeding it (per cat). One of the best price points I have found.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susiell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for your reply.  Just to confirm, you feed your cat 1.5 scoops per day total?  My adult is pretty active, thanks to the kitten, so I'm thinking she should get a bit more, so 2 scoops per day (1 in the morning and 1 at night)?

kiki39

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I felt the same way! There is no clear instructions how much to feed when fed exclusively. The instruction on their website or on the back of the package says "xx amount of this food when fed with meaty bones" (which I don't do).

Anyway... According to their website info, "chicken and lamb" flavor food is 4763 cal/ kg. One scoop is about 10g, so it gets about 47 cal. (1kg=1000g)

If your 10lb cat needs 250 cal, you'll need more than 5 scoops to achieve that per day.

("Chicken and venison" food has less calories. 3966 cal/kg, which makes one scoop (10g) 39 cal.)

I hope this helps :)

susiell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Kiki,
That's exactly why I posted my question. i came up with the same conclusion, which is just crazy!

crowen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
Yes, when I fed feline natural I used 1.5 scoops per day per cat. This was written on the bag, however, which it sounds like it is not for you. Maybe they have changed it.

Can you post a picture of the scoop that came with the food, and a picture of the back of the bag so I can see if it's similar? In the same picture is fine since it will give better scale for the size of the scoop.

susiell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here you go. The scoop looks large here b]ut it's really pretty small.

Last edited:

crowen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It does look a bit different. The scoop recommendations are still there though.

The bag says to feed an 11lb cat with 1.25 scoops rehydrated with 0.8 scoops worth of water. It's a bit confusing the way they've laid the chart out.

So for your 10lb cat and 6lb kitten, I would say 1 scoop per day rehydrated with 0.5-1 scoop of water. It says half a scoop rehydrated with 0.3 scoops of water for the kitten, but kittens generally want to eat twice that. (Edit: I read the 4.4lb kitten column instead of the 6.6)

I am unsure if their recommendation is including their meaty bone meal they mentioned, but if so, then 1.5 scoops instead of 1.25 sounds right. If they are still hungry, and they'll let you know, use 2.

Edit: oops, it says right there at the bottom. Feed the kitten three times a day is what they recommended. So they meant half a scoop three times, which is 1.5 as well.

Last edited:

susiell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah, now I get it! That chart is not well designed :lol3:

And I figured out the calories. A kg is ~35 ounces, so it's about136 cal per ounce, which makes much more sense.

Thanks!

Last edited: