How much does spaying/neutering cost in the UK?

littlemeow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat recently had 3 kittens, if you haven't seen my post from before, so Anyways 2 are girls and 1 of them is a boy. The boy has really awesome markings and my little brother has instantly fell in love with him; he looks a bit like a tiger.
The girls will definitely find caring homes as many people are already asking about them including family members.
However, I was just wondering how much neutering would cost because if we do choose to keep the male I think it would be absolutely necessary to have him neutered because I'm 99% certain that he will spray and I really don't want a smelly home [emoji]128514[/emoji].
Btw I live in the UK so can I have the approx prices in pounds please. Thanks
Any help will be appreciated xxx

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Neutering costs vary so much that its hard to put a figure to it. If money is really tight, Cat's Protection offer low cost or free neutering vouchers, depending on the programme they have in your area. This page explains it. I believe the RSPCA and Blue Cross assist with low cost neutering too, as do the PDSA.

You're absolutely right that neutering is needed. It makes for a healthier, happier cat (and owner ;) ) in the long run, and ensures that you won't be contributing to the numbers of unwanted kittens that are all too common. It would be a good idea to get mamma cat spayed too, and to require the girls' new owners to get them spayed too.[article="0"][/article]

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to add that there are health and happiness benefits to neutering your girls, even though they don't usually spray.  Heat cycles and the hormone surges without getting pregnant can lead to complications, like pyometria or even cancer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

littlemeow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Columbine Columbine talkingpeanut talkingpeanut Thank you, but usually what's the average cost, like the cheapest and the most expensive?
And yep definitely, I think regardless of if its a girl or a boy, it still affects the owners and other cats too. However, please don't take this the wrong way, I think Mama cat is a really really good mum and she loves every moment of parenthood & I would just feel awful taking that away from her

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mamma may love being a mum, but repeated pregnancies can take a real toll on her body, not to mention putting her at higher risk for certain cancers. Also, every pregnancy carries a risk. This one went well, but how awful would you feel if things went wrong and you lost mamma or kittens...or even both. It can and does happen. Please reconsider your decision. It's wonderful that all went well this time around. Be happy with that, and focus on protecting her health for the future.

I can't give you an average cost, as it's years since I needed to have a cat spayed or neutered. The surest way would be to contact some local vets and ask what they charge...though I'd always choose a vet I know and trust rather than go purely on cost ;)

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mojo's spaying is going to cost me £85 at a 'private' vet including chipping, which they do at the same time.If you claim any benefits even as a council tax reduction, tax credits, or housing benfit you can go to the PDSA. i beleive they run on a donation basis depending on the treatment. 

I would seriously consider asking potential adopters for the money upfront for the neutering of the little girls. I got Mojo from a friend, she was free and she did not come vaccinated spayed neutered or chipped however I know that the lady I got her from knew that I would do that. It's important that the cat population does not continue to grow in such a way that healthy animals get put down. Ask for a deposit, do home checks or make sure they are going to people who will follow through.

Just to let you know the reccomendation in the UK is to spay/ neuter and chip at 6mo. If you do not plan on keeping the kittens that long draw up an adoption agreement which states they must  be booked in for the procedure on x date and be sure to check on it by getting contact details from the new parents and ensure they follow through.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mamma may love being a mum, but repeated pregnancies can take a real toll on her body, not to mention putting her at higher risk for certain cancers. Also, every pregnancy carries a risk. This one went well, but how awful would you feel if things went wrong and you lost mamma or kittens...or even both. It can and does happen. Please reconsider your decision. It's wonderful that all went well this time around. Be happy with that, and focus on protecting her health for the future.

I can't give you an average cost, as it's years since I needed to have a cat spayed or neutered. The surest way would be to contact some local vets and ask what they charge...though I'd always choose a vet I know and trust rather than go purely on cost ;)
I completely agree with this. Also, it's important not to attribute human emotions to your cat. She may be enjoying being a mama cat now, but it isn't something she looked forward to or expected to happen. Hormones, instincts, and her personality make her a good mom. It's not emotional for her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

littlemeow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all, I agree completely with what you said & yup I will reconsider my decisions. Thank you x

alic23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi littlemeow i live in England and recently got my kittens done. I went to my usual (private) vet and it cost £40 (inc VAT) for a male neuter, and £50 (inc VAT) for the female spay.
Then the microchip was an extra £10 each. Hope that helps x

alic23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh and that included everything as well as extra pain med for the girl and follow up appt. for the girl to check on her stitches

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In further addition to my previous post, the reccommendations are based on the anaesthetic that general vetinary practices use. Since the mid 00s the medication has infact improved, and these medications can be used on kittens as young as 8 weeks of age the risk is higher, and therefore it's unusual to find the use of these medications outside of rescue shelters. These places aren't to be accused of using substandard medication. They simply have lots of young kittens or pregnant mothers in their care and have had to find a safe alternative to having them with them for a longer length of time. Let's face it kittens are generaly more adoptable and te shelter is most likely pushed already.

I had my girl neutered today. She's come home with a shaved area on her side, and she needs almost constant watching to ensure she isn't licking the sutures out of her wound. If the people you find wouldn't be comfortable doing that, they aren't the right ones. She's also fairly groggy, insatiably hungry and desperate for distraction from her wound. It's best in the long run and as hard as it was at 5am thismoning when I woke up and questioned my decision (she's indoor anyway she doesn't need this right), it's the right one for us.

Ultimately unless you are planning on breeding (you should not consider this indefinately as the queen will ultimately suffer, as well as being more susceptible to cetain problems), desexing is the right choice. Your cat will face less risks of cancer in later life, roam less distance and additionally there are no proven ill-effects of de-sexng.

EDIT: The information I have put here is from a multitude of posts I have read today, following on from my kitten's appointment. I believe it is beneficial for each individual to do their own research and make their own conclusion as to what is best for their cat.

Last edited: