How much does it cost to feed your cat?

Carrot_cake1502

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How much money do you spend on cat food, what food do you buy?

I spend £3 on wet food a day. I buy encore or Lily's my cat seems to prefer the latter. I mix it with a bit of dry food as the cat doesn't like dry food on its own.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ummmm. I have a lot of rescues. A Clowder of cats. Lol I haven’t really broken it down to a daily cost. Since I buy litter, wet food and dry food in large quantities and not always all at once I can only give you a rough estimate. Some cats require specialized food too but an average is probably about 35.00 on canned food. I do give dry as well but buy it in large bags so unsure of portion costs.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Around 200-250$ for my 5 resident cats alone, sometimes more in a month. One or two cats prefer this type of food, while others also prefer another type / brand.

Usually I buy them a variety of brands such as Purina Felix Fish and Meat Selection, Purina One, Friskies and Fancy Feast.
My Barley likes wet food with more sauce or gravy, while the others prefer with Jelly. I don't know, sometimes also one cat would suddenly dislike the brand and flavor he/she used to eat. So it is really difficult and more expensive when you have picky eaters.

For Dry Food they prefer Purina Indoor or Purina Complete.

And for sudden kitty rescues I also have to buy formulas, kitty food etc.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A ridiculous amount by most people's standards.

Our older rescued girl prefers Fancy Feast Classic and Savory Centers and a few other better items but, she's gotten to be a grazer and won't eat leftovers. I go through 3-4 small cans a day from her alone. The amount I throw out is crazy but the other cat will not eat the Fancy Feast.

Our younger one, was raised on better food since we've had her from kittenhood and had control over her diet completely. She also has had some eating problems here and there, at one point eating so little and being so energetic that she lost weight.

Luckily that has evened out and she now eats enthusiastically but her menu is more expensive (Weruva/Merricks/Primal raw) and she too, will not eat leftovers. At least with her I do know what she will eat in one sitting now. With her also, She also eats 4 small cans/pouches of food a day plus a small amount of high protein kibble (Orijen, also pricey) since she's a purebred Maine Coon and still will be growing for another year or so.

Easily it's $10 a day to feed both of them. So about $300 a month for 2 cats. Good thing we can afford this!

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I spend about $100/month for dry and wet for mine, seems like it should be more! Maybe I didn't calculate right :think:. I do autoship from Chewy so I get a little discount, I give them Solid Gold for dry and Merrick Purrfect Bistro for wet food. Mooshoo doesn't really like wet food much so I mix some dry in it to get her to eat more of it. Luckily they will all eat from an already opened can/leftovers! They are grazers except Moo, she eats everything she can find so I have to use microchip feeders so she doesn't 40 pounds!

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Roughly $90ish/month for three cats. I feed Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin dry food to cut down on costs. For wet, it's a mix of Fancy Feast, Friskies, and Purina Pro Plan Turkey and Chicken.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say I spend about $45 a month. Maisie gets 1 can of Fancy Feast in the morning and a can of Friskies at night. Flora and Remy both get a handful of dry cat food in the morning and at night. I also will sometimes change it up and give Flora a can of cat food instead of dry food. Remy isn't always too interested in wet food.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I make the cats’ food, and just today, I spent $110 on three kinds of meat. That will last about a month for three cats. That doesn’t include the cost of the supplements but that isn’t more than a few cents a day.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I really don't know for sure and I only have one cat at the moment but, I'm thinking I only spend about 80$ every 3 or 4 months so, not that bad. Manny gets Purina One dry food and I free feed that. He gets American Journey, Fancy Feast and Iams perfect portions wet food. He only eats about a half a can of wet food a day. Some days he cleans the bowl out and some days he mostly just licks the gravy out of it. He's maintained his weight at 20 lbs in the last 3 and 1/2 years, give or take a 1/2 pound. I would call him a moderate eater. When I had my Maine Coon I fed him the same way basically and he maintained around 24 to 25 pounds for 16 yrs but, he did eat more! Like almost twice as much as Manny. He was a little pig. He would lay down in the floor and wrap his paws around the bowl when he ate. When I fed him wet food he would lick the shine off the bowl and I would hear it banging against the wall. :lol: I had a little domestic short hair at the time too but, she was indoor / outdoor and she hunted a lot. I probably spent around $120 to $160 every 3 or 4 months then.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feed mostly wet with about 1tbsp of dry food (currently Wysong Epigen 90). For 1 cat I'm usually spending about $40 a month. It's a mix of Tiny Tiger, Sheba, and American Journey for the most part.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmmmm I feed Jackie a bit of dry food (he free feeds) & 1.5 cans a day. I would guess around 90$ a month. However I’m always well stocked with about an extra month’s of food. So probably around 2-4$ a day.

He gets fancy feast melodies & my BFF pouches. Plus he nibbles on blue Buffalo wilderness.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feed frozen commercial raw cat food and buy 4 bags at a time (all I can fit in my small freezer. I need some space for my own food) and it costs about $150. I usually need to buy more at least every 4 weeks.

corvidae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I want to say around 85 (Canadian) dollars for two cats? They’re on Dr. Elsey’s CleanProtein for dry and we are still trying to find the perfect wet food- right now they’re getting Nulo, Merrick, and Go!.