How much does cat health insurance cost?

EmilioCarter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,
I am an animal lover, now I want to raise a cat to raise and take care of. For maximum protection, I also plan to insure it. How much does cat insurance cost? Are there any discounts or discounts available? Hope everyone let me know.
Thanks everyone.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on what you want including in the policy. I pay 8 pounds something I can't remember exactly so around 16 pounds a month for two cat's. Dental is not included in my policy and I pay the first 100 pounds towards treatment. You can go online and put in what you want and get quotes on comparasen websites. It's a good idea to have in case a emergency happens. That can hit the bank balance hard and emergency vets charge large. Also remember you might have to pay cost upfront before claiming back off insurance but they are normally pretty quick at paying you.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some employers, typically large companies, offer pet insurance discounts. It's worth digging through your HR benefits web site or manual for any info on other extra discounts and employee perks.

Most pet insurance doesn't work the way Human health insurance does. You basically pay the vet bill upfront and then submit the bill for some amount of reimbursement. A basic annual check up may be 100% covered but diagnostic tests and routine blood work may only be partially covered. Certain health conditions are considered pre-existing even if the cat develops the condition as a senior, such as diabetes. You may need to wait a certain amount of time before you can use the insurance. Read the fine print before you sign up for insurance.

Try these comparisons:

Putting money aside monthly or however often in a high interest bank account to use for vet emergencies (and general life emergencies) is another option.

Fostering a cat for a local shelter may be an alternative option to owning a cat if insurance is too costly. The shelter will take care of all the vet bills and may even provide food.

Annieca2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So it'll get more expensive as the cat ages. When I had Snap insured thru Healthy Paws she was about $25 a month. I stopped insuring her when she turned 6 and the rate jumped to $40 a month. There's ways to limit costs like deductibles and percentage of payment, but it's still spendy. Also, preventative care including dental is almost always an add on for the plan. Healthy Paws had great customer service and covered pretty much everything for Snap's allergies except the office visit fee.

The sucky thing about cat insurance is that every single one is going to have a preexisting condition clause so you can't bargain hunt once your cat has had something happen. So once Snap had that allergy attack, no new insurance would cover anything related to allergies or asthma.

I second the idea of just doing a special savings account or saving what you can in case something happens. That way you're not out the monthly premiums if nothing happens, but you have the money if it does. Care Card is another option in the US. It's like an interest free credit card for pet care.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can do a quote on most insurers’ websites to get an idea. It can vary depending on how old your cat is and the insurance company and what kind of coverage you get but I’ve seen generally $20-50/month