How much do your male cats weigh?

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am not sure what the healthy weight for an adult male cat should be. My boy kitty weighed in at 11.8 pounds on his most recent vet visit, and he is only 1 1/2 years old. The vet did not say anything about him being too chunky, but I wonder if he is getting too big. He feels very solid (if that makes sense) when I pick him up.

My petite 5 year old female cat barely weighs 8 pounds.

alyssam

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Atticus, 4, weighs just under 16lbs. Last time we weighed Lucifer, 8, he was 11lbs, but I think he maybe has gained one or two pounds since then.

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mo is a big and long cat, and only about 11 or 12lbs but he's quite skinny (vet said so as well) so he needs to gain weight. Males tend towards larger builds and overall just being bigger than females (generally). Some bigger cats can be 15-20lbs and still be a healthy weight relative to their body size and frame. Our Kismet (female) is only about 5lbs. She's also 3/5 his size.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think average weight for a neutered male is about 10 pounds but every cat is different. Some breeds may weigh more than others. Some males may just naturally be a "lightweight" but are healthy otherwise. Diet and activity level can also be affect weight.

My male (an Aby) is 4 years old and has consistently weighed at 10 pounds plus a few ounces since he was a year old. He's rail thin but that's typical of the breed. My female DMH, also 4 years old, consistently weighs at 8 pounds and a few ounces. She's "big boned" and solid, too.

Here's a chart that you can use to gauge if your cat is underweight, overweight, or just right: http://www.petobesityprevention.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/CatBCS_APOP.jpg

feleenipovski

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 6 month old persian weighs a whopping 8 lbs but he isn't fat...the vet said that is fine. The lady at the pet food store had a jaw-drop moment when I told her how big he is...she said that's "not normal"...but after snooping online I found out he is totally ok for a growing male persian.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
It really depends on their body size as to what a healthy weight is.

Max and Tyson (3 yrs old) are 12.5 - 13 lbs. (Their brothers range from 12 lbs to 16.5 lbs.)

Jett (5 yrs old) is 17.5 lbs...he is big overall...but, ideally should be about 16 lbs. (His brothers are 15-19 lbs...sisters are 12 and 13 lbs.)

Here's a pic of Jett and Tyson together. Will give an idea of Jett's size.

Lucky (16 yrs old) is 13 lbs...20 at his peak when he was 3-5 yrs old...had more muscle and fat. =)

Simba (2 yrs old) is about 10 lbs.

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems to depend on their size, body structure, age and breed (when a purebred).

I have/had 2 females and 7 males. (Down to 1 female and 6 males - 3 have passed due to incurable illness and age).

The girls are on the large size (1 Persian cross weights 13 lbs . 10 yr old) and the other was a Turkish Van type (she was stocky and solid frame and weight was 12 lbs at the time of her crossing to the RB and felt thin then was 19.5 yrs).

The boys though vary considerable.

The smallest weights 8.5 lbs and is as thin as a rail (he's currently battling Hyperthyroidism so maintaining his weight is still a battle as the dosage is being adjusted - should weigh no more then 9lbs). His brother - who is slightly larger frame - weights 11 lbs and looks good (no need to adjust weight from the vet). Both 12 yrs.

Next in size is the youngest at 5 years and weights 13 lbs. Should be 12 lbs and is one a diet.

Next in size are the remaining 2 boys. They are very close in size and body structure. The 10 yr old weights 14.5 lbs and the 14 yr old weights 15 lbs. They are large framed and stocky.

The 2 RB boys weights were 9lbs for a RB/Siamese cross and 16 lbs for and Turkish Angora type.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Cats vary as much as people do as far as size and weight go.
My abyssinian, a very sleek elegant breed, normally weighs about 9#. At the moment he's barely 7# because he's been sick. He looks a bit like a skeleton at that weight.
My two rescue cats: Hercules is 8-9 years old, big orange tabby weighing in at 17#. Okay, he could stand to lose a pound or two, but he does love to eat. Gandalf is 7 months old and already weighs 7.5#. I suspect he's going to end up around 12# but won't look nearly as solid as Hercules. He's super long and tall with an amazing tail.

lucentstreak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hugo (in my profile picture) just 11 months, weighs close to 11 pounds. See my earlier thread about asking if he might be overweight. I think the BSC chart is a good indicator.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just trapped (and got neutered) two feral, male cats. Both are old for ferals, one is eight and the other ten years old.
The 8 year old weighed 10 pounds.
The 10 year old one weighed 12.4 pounds.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Mogli is two years old and weighs 5.4 kg./ almost 12 lbs.. He's a bit on the plump side, IMO, since he's medium-sized.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that it depends on the cats length, & structure, etc.. Angel has been at 15 lbs for a couple of yrs. but at his last visit, earlier this month, he weighed in at 14.6 lbs. 

He is tall & muscular. (I saw his x-rays of his tummy before, where he was spread eagle on his back, & his hind legs looked like big muscular turkey legs 

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Both of my cats weigh 13 lbs. female has a lot of skin and spay swag and a little smaller than my male. The male is very lean. You can feel his ribs and see his hips. He has no belly fat at all. People say he's a big cat

They both eat the same but my male is much more active

Last edited:

sscarolelombard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hahahaha, this is just like Magnus! Same exact weight and everything. He's such a big boy (guess that's why they named him Magnus
And I've a feeling our little kitten is maybe going to end up with the same body type as well. He just looks like a miniature version of Magnus as far as muscle and everything.

PS Angel's so cute! He looks like he has a big personality!

Last edited:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ssacrolelombard,  First of all, Welcome to TCS!   I wasn't on here as much a few weeks ago, so have missed some new people.

Thanks! Yes, he does have quite a personality. Especially when he has "the crazies," or when he's being a little sassy, I call him Mr. Sassafras Sassy Pants!  LOL!  

That's so funny our boys weigh the same, & you have a similar picture. 

If you check out my link below, you will see lots of pictures of him!

I see your in Minneapolis. I lived in Rosevill for 6 & 1/2 yrs. (17 yrs ago!)  

bluebird gal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our oldest boy who is a little over 2yrs old now weighed in at our recent vet visit @  12.1lbs.   He is still pretty lean & our feline-only vet was not concerned based on the food we feed (and we're also in process of switching to all commercial raw right now).  Still has a defined waist and very little fat covering his ribs but not skinny.

Our  youngest boy (chow / kibble hound) is a little over 1yr now and weighed in at the same vet visit at 15.3lbs.  Per our vet, she said based on his frame she would be happy (and we're working on it daily) if he were at 13.5lbs.  That would be his ideal weight between 13 and 13.5.  He's just a big boy.  He too is learning to eat raw and we have greatly upped his play time.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Mouse lumbers in at around 5 Kilos or 12 lb these days.  He was 3.5 kilos when he was 2 but the podginess has crept on as he has become less active over this past year.   Well,that and a lodger who falls for my boy's pathetic squeaks every morning when he goes in to the kitchen (they adore each other) ....   

I now have the day's biscuits measured out in a tin so all know what has been fed and when the allowance is 'up'.   I am so mean!   Mouse is just within the healthy weight limit for his frame and as he loves his food I know it needs to be kept a close eye on:   he is much more relaxed and runs about less than he was as a kitten / young cat.  He'll be 4 in February.