How Much $ Do You Spend, Per Cat, Per Month?

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 3 indoor and 2 outdoor.

Indoor: Food + litter = $30 per cat, per month.

Outdoor: $15 per cat, per month.

That's not including vets bills and/or meds.

Senior cats are going to cost a bit more depending on how healthy they are.

How about you? Did you ever do the math?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now I have a kitten I rescued from the road.
Food is € 2.75 per day (one can of wet food).
Litter is about € 1.00 per day.

I also have two outdoor semi-feral cats.
Food is about € 2.00 a day (pouches + dry) per cat, that is € 60/month per cat.

When I had my cats it was:
Food about € 30/month per cat (they ate little, they were seniors)
Litter about € 8/month per cat.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or righty...here goes.

Weruva pawlicken chicken, natures variety instinct chicken, greenie treats, kitty litter, filters for drinking fountain........ total cost about $8.00 daily. Thats after tax dollars. I must earn at least $12 to keep $8. Cost excludes trips to vet for bee stings, bites from chipmunks, flea treatments, collars, licensing, vaccinations and cost of acquiring the cat (s), ect ect ect.

Now the REAL cost.

If that money was invested in a registered retirement plan, ie a 401k at a 5 percent annual (a very conservative return for blue chip dividend stocks), for 16 years the total equity pre tax would be just under $96, 000.00! (Calculation includes the tax deduction reinvested with the $240 monthly. $240 PLUS 40 percent refund from govt equals $240 + $96 = 336 invested monthly.)

Here are arnold and greg double checking my calculations.

Worth every penny!

20190112_065153.jpg

Last edited:

will2002

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If I would of have had any idea how much money we would spend on cats in the last forty-five years, there would have never been "cat number one"... And that would have the BIGEST MISTAKE of my life.

There is no way that I could even guess how much money we have spent on Kitty Care, and I really don't want to know. I will say however, it has been worth every last penny.

We have four indoor cats just now, that I would guess to be worth more than a million dollars each, plus "several" barn cats of which I wouldn't even began to know how to estimate their worth. LOL

I would say we "Cat People" spend our money wisely! I actually believe most of the money that I've spent on other things for the most part, has been wasted.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
For simply food and litter alone, we spend probably $140 per cat for Olive and Gohan. Gohan’s food is more expensive but I took the average. We do splurge on food with Caru for Gohan and Rawz. Life’s Abundance and Primal Nuggets for Olive.

This doesn’t include treats, vet appointments or other incidentals.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
$96, 000 for two cats for 16 years.

But lets analyze that cost more carefully.

$96, 000 is taxed at 40 percent or more in my tax bracket. Canada has high taxes.

After tax I would keep $57, 600

Divided by 2 for 2 cats is $28, 800 per cat over 16 years.

÷16 = $1800 yearly
÷365 = 4.93 daily
÷24= about 20 cents an hour to have a fantastic, amazing buddy, who goes to sleep with me at night, wakes with me in the morning, makes me laugh before I even get out of bed, waits for me at the front door when I come home, watches tv with me....... and SO SO much more.

Best money ive ever spent.

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Close to 200$ for just one cat, including routine vet costs, litter, food, gastrointestinal and malt pastes, excluding sicknesses and toys.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
For my 3 cats alone here in Doha, I spend around 195 - 250$ a month on food and litter, and not including the cat back home and the outdoor cats I feed.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it fluctuates depending on the size of the furmily and lately it has gotten a lot higher because our favorite business, Drs. Foster & Smith, closed in February and there are several excellent foods of their house brand we bought from them that we can no longer get. So to make up for that, I have to buy other foods which cost over 3x more. REALLY miss Drs. F&S. I'm kind of discouraged on this and so I haven't crunched the numbers, but let's just say it costs more for their supplies per month than it does for my own. A LOT more. When people get weird about this, I just say, "Well, there are three of them and only one of me. I don't eat much, and I'm very careful about spending. They're obligate carnivores and I'm pretty much vegan most of the time. So it all works out."

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
:paperbag:

Um...let's think.

I feed a lot of Fancy Feast and Tiny Tiger. I would say that I probably spend, on a good day, $1/cat/day on food, so $3/day on food. That's $90 right there...oy vey.

We have insurance for everyone. $35/month.

Litter is another $15 or so (trying to transition to something cheaper).

So about $150/month for 3 cats.

:oops::oops::oops:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy PC (president's choice) ExtraMeaty brand of cat wet food in 85g, 156g, and 374g cans.

85g - $0.50 - $0.75 ~ These are one meal, I empty the entire can.
156 - $0.50 - $0.75 ~ These are two meals, I portion off half for the morning and half for the evening.
374g - $1.20 - $1.40 ~ These are three - four meals.

I buy the 12 can case of 85g, a few 156g cans, and a couple 374g cans. This is their main food because I like the price range and the quality. Sometimes, I'll buy the nutrition first one. But, often times, I'll throw in the Purina Friskies and Fancy Feast wet food.

So, all in all, I spend roughly $20 - $30 a month on food for Felix. Now that I'm looking after a pregnant cat, that number is looking more like $30 - $50.

Litter is about $13 - $16 and it usually last a month and a few weeks depending on how I use it. It's the 18kg box.

Treats and other stuff aren't much. So, probably close to $50 a month on cat stuff.