How much do you spend on your cat every month? (Food/Litter/Treats, etc)

cheshirebite

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I spent approximately ~$120 or less for food, litter, toys and flea treatment (treats last more than a month). I've only had my cat for two months so the bills haven't really bothered me. 

pegleg

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've got two cats so bar the start up costs which wasn't too much.

This is per month:
Wet food 35€
Dry food 15€ - this is the maximum as I buy in bulk and on offer.
Litter 8.50€, now I've worked it out this clumping silica is going to last a good month.
Toys - 2-5€
Treats - 5€ (in reality less as my visitors keep on bringing presents for them, but nothing for me)

Vet care is cheaper here and I get charged a bit less for having rescues. I add a little to the pot occasionally so it works out in total at 1.50€ per cat per day. I could buy them a cheaper brand of wet if I needed to save money.

Last edited:

antisockcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have an adult indoor/outdoor cat and a 3-month indoor kitten.

Dry food: 4health, $23/18lbs/~2.5 months = $9.2

Wet food: 4health, $1/13.5oz can/3 days = $10 (I currently use up one can every 4 days but I expect an increase soon as Mimzy gets bigger. Winston doesn't really care for wet food, so he usually gets meat scraps or catches his own.)

Litter: Arm & Hammer, $10/box/month for kitten only = $10

Treats: Friskies Temptations (on sale), $6/3 month supply = $2

Toys: $0. Aside from the cat tree, they do fine with random household items and repurposed kids' toys (Mimzy loves the crunchy sounds pool toys make).

Vet/meds: Winston gets Revolution at ~$20/mo, Mimzy will get Heartgard once she weighs enough. Mimzy's shots and deworming cost $125 and then $75 and she has one appt left, but after her spay I expect less than $60/year/cat at the vet.

Total: about $50/mo, not including temporary vet costs.

We're considering another kitten, as I do not expect Winston will ever play with Mimzy, but the immediate vet costs are the obvious drawback.
I'm thankful that 4health food is good quality and affordable- and both of my cats LOVE the dry food!

buh-buh-bacon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For me, it depends on how much you want to spend and take feed them. I have multiple cats, and I maybe spend 40-45$ a month. When I had one, it was a 10 lbs of cat food at 24$that last around a month and a half. The litter I buy is 12.88 for 35 lbs which lasts about 2 months for me. And extra at the dollar store for some toys and cat nip so, 3$ a month. 21-23$ a month. The letterbox I got was 24 bucks but I only had to buy that once (has a cover and an air filter, other wise it would have been 12$

buh-buh-bacon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And of course collars and I'd tags, and flea treatment if it's an outside or to be on the safe side.. I bought a 5$ flea comb at petco and brush them every other day. Bonding and cheaper (:

cheshirebite

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And of course collars and I'd tags, and flea treatment if it's an outside or to be on the safe side.. I bought a 5$ flea comb at petco and brush them every other day. Bonding and cheaper (:
What type of litter do you use & where do you buy it? Because about $13 for 35lbs is really good, in my opinion. That could last me about 3-4 months, I think, since the ones I buy now (16lbs) last me 2 months.

buh-buh-bacon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I believe it's 25 or 35.. Well, I get tidy cats from Walmart. My favorite so far is the black top, it's great for all my cats. I think it's 25..but there's 35 lbs for I think 20 at Walmart too. I always get the yellow plastic bucket with the black top. In my area it's 12.88 but I'm sure it won't reach past 13.the litter lasts me 2 months now that only 2 cats use the litter box. Before with 3,it would be a month, tops. Fresh step is decent also, my mom used that. I honestly grabbed the cheapest one with the most lbs

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not wanting to *butt* in 
 but Drs. Foster & Smith has very good quality clumping, scoopable, baking-soda-added litter in 30-lb. refillable buckets for less than that.  It's $10.44.  The brand is SoPhresh.  You can get it delivered to your door via DrsFosterSmith.com as well as all of your cats' food, treats, topical treatments, toys, etc.  The litter is also sold through Petco where you can physically take the bucket to the store and refill it.  

buh-buh-bacon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There you go! Ill actually have to try that too haha 2 litter boxes go through litter when they're are dumped

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Food varies as I do rotation diets, but I am currently doing $26 for dry food, its taste of the wild river canyon 15lbs. $21 for canned food, its friskies classic pates variety pack, 48 cans.
$9 - $10 on litter. Its either the SAM's Club brand or TSC's brand. $5 something for TSC and $9-$10 at SAM's.

Miscellaneous items (toys, toothpaste, vaccines, etc) $3-$18.

So I spend about $75 a month for 5 cats (well, one is actually a kitten). They're 13 years, 10 years, 10 years, 8 years this Sunday, and 3 months old. I co-own a 5 year old male and am about to co-own a near 7 year old female.

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Until the we woops had kittens I spent 16.99x 3 for grain free dry and 25 x2 for litter in and out cat 60 some years on dewormer or flea med.
Now it is insane and it been 600$ for the vet this month and 45 for litter a week and double for the dry and wet at 6$ A day
Sane folks don't have 8 cats I think?[emoji]128527[/emoji]

cheshirebite

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I believe it's 25 or 35.. Well, I get tidy cats from Walmart. My favorite so far is the black top, it's great for all my cats. I think it's 25..but there's 35 lbs for I think 20 at Walmart too. I always get the yellow plastic bucket with the black top. In my area it's 12.88 but I'm sure it won't reach past 13.the litter lasts me 2 months now that only 2 cats use the litter box. Before with 3,it would be a month, tops. Fresh step is decent also, my mom used that. I honestly grabbed the cheapest one with the most lbs
Ooh, I see. Unfortunately, nearest Walmart is about 6 miles away from me /sigh Yeah, a friend of mine uses Fresh step. It's gets the job done in terms of odor, not so much the tracking according to her.

Not wanting to *butt* in 
 but Drs. Foster & Smith has very good quality clumping, scoopable, baking-soda-added litter in 30-lb. refillable buckets for less than that.  It's $10.44.  The brand is SoPhresh.  You can get it delivered to your door via DrsFosterSmith.com as well as all of your cats' food, treats, topical treatments, toys, etc.  The litter is also sold through Petco where you can physically take the bucket to the store and refill it.  
SoPhresh is actually the one I use (16lb one costs around $7) from Petco. That store is the nearest one from my place (10min walk!). But I didn't know it's from Drs. Foster & Smith. I figured it was a Petco product, like how CVS has theirs. Speaking of, what type of SoPhresh do you buy, advanced odor, dual odor or lightweight advance? I currently buy the dual odor but it doesn't completely eliminate the urine odor especially when I scoop it out.
Until the we woops had kittens I spent 16.99x 3 for grain free dry and 25 x2 for litter in and out cat 60 some years on dewormer or flea med.
Now it is insane and it been 600$ for the vet this month and 45 for litter a week and double for the dry and wet at 6$ A day
Sane folks don't have 8 cats I think?[emoji]128527[/emoji]
Eight cats? My god! Props to you. I'm barely handling this 6 year old of mine who is both grumpy AND clingy. 

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some are grumpy alright[emoji]9785[/emoji]️Not happy with other cats kittens . I had homes for 2 more kittens but the kits got sick so that fell thur.
They are 5 ,4 ,2 years,10 months, and 4 @12 weeks .

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For all 50 cats the necessary food costs per day For All 50 is: $30.00 a day

That cost includes both wet and dry food fed twice a day for all 50 cats.

I use only Friskies brand both wet and dry. You can see pictures of some of them on my GoFundMeSite: /Cmd+V
I think you can see how healthy they look living the "Friskies Life".

The $30.00 a day does not include litter since this is an all feral colony that lives outdoors, except for some nights and winters when they use the shelters which have litter boxes in them. Even though some of the cats were rescued/abandoned babies, even those cats stay outside almost all day, by choice.

I have not included the cost of treats, toys, meds, vet bills, medicine (like Lysine for some), or straw for shelter beds, which are added costs. I try not to look at my Vet costs which go on one credit card. I just pay the minimum regularly or more when I can. To be honest, I am not sure I want to know what the cost is of all the rest. I just know I have to pay it.

You have 50 kitties?

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What type of litter do you use & where do you buy it? Because about $13 for 35lbs is really good, in my opinion. That could last me about 3-4 months, I think, since the ones I buy now (16lbs) last me 2 months.

I can get 42lbs clumping for $9. If you have a SAM's Club membership card, get yourself some litter from there. Works the same as Fresh Step for me. [emoji]128077[/emoji][emoji]127995[/emoji]