How much do you spend monthy on your cat for litter and food?

datranch37

TCS Member
Young Cat
Reaction score
I live in Lebanon, and owning pets over here is basically considered a luxury. Everything is so overpriced, it’s insane.
I use Tidy Cats as litter (6 Kg lasts about 1.5 months), which costs about 13$.
I use Royal Canin dry kitten food (lasts 28 days) and that’s a whopping 50$ over here.
I also administer Revolution (anti fleas, ear mites, etc...) on a monthly basis, that’s about 16.5$ per month (a pack of 3 is 50$).
I give him a deworming pill every 3 months which costs about 5$.
I don’t remember how much his vaccines cost (1 every 6 months and 1 yearly).
There are also other costs (poop bags, tear stain remover, catnip, vitamin paste, ear care liquid, etc...) which last a long time so the cost is negligible.
I’d say all in all, it costs me about 100$ monthly for 1 kitten. If I were giving him wet food instead, it would easily be triple (or more!).
The average salary for an engineer with 3-5 years of experience is 2,000$ monthly, so you can see how that is a problem for most families.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Reaction score
Im just trying to figure it all myself since I'm a first time car owner. I know I spent a lot the first 2 months so far as I'm figuring things out with Delilah. I think I spent too much on litter because I thought the whole thing had to be dumped once a week.

With food I have a bunch of cans she's not eating that I overspent on, 3 half bags that she can't eat due to possible allergies, and a 7 pound bag of prescription kibble that will take one kitty forever to eat.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Reaction score
When you say dumping weekly, you mean you were dumping clumping litter weekly? Yeah, that would add up for sure. I think monthly is sufficient for clumping (others may not agree), but non-clumping requires no less than weekly dumping.

There is no doubt care is costly. There is no way around that. But you will learn what works best and consequently you won't be spending as much once you are no longer experimenting.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Reaction score
$100 for cat food only but that's for a feral cat colony of 9 cats and the few raccoons, possums and red foxes that also stop by.

tuffsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Reaction score
About $30 for food (one and a half cans of Fancy Feast per day) and 2 -3 boxes (14 lb each) of Fresh Step litter at $10 per box. So approximate total $55.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Reaction score
When you say dumping weekly, you mean you were dumping clumping litter weekly? Yeah, that would add up for sure. I think monthly is sufficient for clumping (others may not agree), but non-clumping requires no less than weekly dumping.

There is no doubt care is costly. There is no way around that. But you will learn what works best ppland consequently you won't be spending as much once you are no longer experimenting.
Well as a new cat owner litter was a different animal. Previously I occasionally walked my sister's dog and that was it.

Right now I'm switching from fresh step to dr elsey. With Delilah's itching I was concerned something in the fresh step was contributing to it

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Reaction score
Pine pellets, $6 for a 40lb bag. That lasts my three cats 2-3 months. I have a sifting litterbox for them on ~2 inch PVS pipe sections to catch the sawdust.

The ctas gets fed 3 times a day. I give them Friskies wet, Fancy Feast, the chicken and turkey Purine ProPlan, and will occasionally rotate in some Tiny Tiger (I like the bigger cans because I have three cats to feed). They get a meal of hard food in the afternoon. I'm going to try the American Journey Chicken and Turkey next go around.

I think my every 4 week Chewy autoship is $77.