How much do you socialize with the vet of your pets?

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you follow them/their clinic's account on social media? Can they see your social media profiles? Do you have friendly conversations? Do you hang out?

Question inspired by a conversation I had with friends on whether it would be better if we got more personified when the vet saw a glimpse of our daily lives, or if it backfired and they got more judgmental over what they see on social media.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you have friendly conversations
Somewhat, but only when we're at the clinic and either of them have a little bit of extra time.

I could certainly see how social media could influence a veterinarian, but I'm guessing they don't spend a lot of time there. More than likely it's one of the assistants who is designated to maintain the clinic's account, and that's who would see client social media accounts.

Last edited:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really do social media (except for this site) so, no on that front...I don't even know if my vet has a FB account or anything like that. They have a website with an "about us" section but I'm not sure what else. We do have friendly conversations though, I am personable and so is my vet, but we keep it at the clinic. They know me as a person not just a "patient", when I come in they know who I am without me having to say, and that's enough for me. We have a friendly rapport, but it's still professional. If I happen to see them out and about, I would engage them in a friendly manner, and it would be sincere, but it ends there. And no, we don't hang out.
My vet has gotten a glimpse of my personal life, as we have gotten to know each other "the old fashion way". No need for social media IMO. I honestly think it would be pretty self absorbed to think that your vet is really spending the time to look at your social media stuff and actually cares about it...If a business has a social media account, they use it to get information out there to widen their business not to "get to know" their patrons.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't socialize with my vet but based on conversations I have had with her and what I know about her practice, she is at work every day early in the morning until late at night (she runs her own business and is the only vet in her practice). She doesn't have a social media page and I don't think she has time for one. She likes to read recently published research to keep herself up to date if she gets time at the end of the day. She's always sharing new research with me. I prefer that over her having a social media page.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I honestly think it would be pretty self absorbed to think that your vet is really spending the time to look at your social media stuff and actually cares about it...If a business has a social media account, they use it to get information out there to widen their business not to "get to know" their patrons.
I hear you and it's very true for hospital kind of clinics, but one vet of my cat for example has only 200something followers. The other has 150something. They are both small neighborhood vets which is how most vets in Turkey work. They actively follow people but not actively share anything so they don't get many followers.

Albus&minnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you follow them/their clinic's account on social media? Can they see your social media profiles? Do you have friendly conversations? Do you hang out?

Question inspired by a conversation I had with friends on whether it would be better if we got more personified when the vet saw a glimpse of our daily lives, or if it backfired and they got more judgmental over what they see on social media.
Mope not that much , and i don't have social media , i'm too young .. i think..

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't apart from appointments. The vets are very friendly at the surgery though, and are always chatty when we visit (often to calm the animals). Since Toffee was the runt of his litter we are somewhat regulars at the vet, so we know one of the regular vets, but that's just through the actual appointments and not outside of her workplace. I'm happy with veterinary surgeries having social media accounts (mine does), but I think unless you have a familial connection with the vet in question or are already friends with them outside of work, interaction should be kept in the workplace. Having said that, my old boss said his vet called him to ask how he was after his cat was put down, which I thought was nice (he still used him afterwards as he has a few other pets too), so in times of need sometimes extra support from the vets is really valuable.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet actually coached my niece through veterinary college so we have a bit of a family connection but I talk and text mostly with
her receptionist/tech who adopted a very neurotic Bengal about the same time I got Blue so we bounce ideas off each other all the time.
This vet when my previous cat died after a long 4 month struggle to keep him alive sent me a huge bunch of flowers and a card signed by all the staff offering condolences. Very nice caring people and when I do visit most of my time is running around saying hello to everyone and catching up on the latest gossip.
Dont need social media with my relations with my vet..:)

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We switched to our current vet about 7 years ago when we were having difficulty getting our Bengal (Makena) to settle in after being re-homed with us. We had been to several vets and an animal behaviorist without getting much help. We tried this vet, who specializes only in cats: her advice was sincere, frank, honest and based on an obviously extensive knowledge of current research. I had already read most of that research, but I do not have the direct, practical clinical experience of a veterinarian. Makena is now a very content and happy cat... and he owes a lot of that to this vet. We have a great deal of respect for this vet.

We saw her frequently over the first year... Makena had some health issues and some behavioral problems that she helped us, and Makena, work through.

After two years, she called us to ask if we were interested in another Bengal. She had one that had been abandoned at her office and needed a home... this little female Bengal had some issues she needed help with.... So Makena got a sister... Lilia. Turned out, the vet thought well us too.

Makena is at best, difficult at the vet. He is a very strong, and very fast animal. He listens very well to my wife and I, and trusts us a great deal, so one of us remains with him during all visits. You would not be able to draw blood, give a shot, palpate a bladder, etc. without one of us present to reassure him. So we are the exception to the policy of "no pet parents" in the room for certain procedures. I have a medical background, and understand the additional pressure this can place on providers in a clinical setting. Having anxious familly members looking on/commenting and critiquing while you try to focus your job can sometimes be quite difficult.

I think we became friends with our vet, Rene, the day she tried, for the third time, to draw blood while Makena struggled. The vein blew, splattering blood all over. Rene looked at me anxiously and I laughed as I said "I have done WAY worse than that!"

Years passed, and always it always seemed that when we visited for checkups, illness etc... that that our conversations with Rene were cut short by the needs of her fast paced clinic. So I asked during one visit, if she and her husband would like to come over and and have dinner with us. She was delighted to, and a few weeks later found us all lounging in our courtyard and chatting til late in the evening. Her husband is great guy too, and they are fun to hang out with.

One funny thing from that evening: Rene asked if I would hold up Makena near her so she could take a selfie with him. I said "you can hold him yourself" as I handed him to her. She was surprised to find him happily sitting in the crook of her arm and purring. She had only known the "Makena at the vet" monster Makena. She did not know the other Makena: patient, sweet and loving. She took the pic and said "nobody in the office is going to believe this." Turns out Makena had quite the reputation.....

So we socialize with our vet and her husband from time to time. Turned out we had a few things in common besides cats. We have all been kayaking together, and are planning some other outings together.

This is not an unusual way to meet friends for us. I will often ask someone over if it seems like good conversation might be had. But it is a little different with a professional whose services you use. We don't expect, nor would we accept a "discount" of any sort, nor would we impose with clinical questions outside of the office. Or expect any after hours or day off consults/visits. We keep the "friend" and "professional" distinctly separate because if the friendship goes away, you still need the professional (and vice versa.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We switched to our current vet about 7 years ago when we were having difficulty getting our Bengal (Makena) to settle in after being re-homed with us. We had been to several vets and an animal behaviorist without getting much help. We tried this vet, who specializes only in cats: her advice was sincere, frank, honest and based on an obviously extensive knowledge of current research. I had already read most of that research, but I do not have the direct, practical clinical experience of a veterinarian. Makena is now a very content and happy cat... and he owes a lot of that to this vet. We have a great deal of respect for this vet.

We saw her frequently over the first year... Makena had some health issues and some behavioral problems that she helped us, and Makena, work through.

After two years, she called us to ask if we were interested in another Bengal. She had one that had been abandoned at her office and needed a home... this little female Bengal had some issues she needed help with.... So Makena got a sister... Lilia. Turned out, the vet thought well us too.

Makena is at best, difficult at the vet. He is a very strong, and very fast animal. He listens very well to my wife and I, and trusts us a great deal, so one of us remains with him during all visits. You would not be able to draw blood, give a shot, palpate a bladder, etc. without one of us present to reassure him. So we are the exception to the policy of "no pet parents" in the room for certain procedures. I have a medical background, and understand the additional pressure this can place on providers in a clinical setting. Having anxious familly members looking on/commenting and critiquing while you try to focus your job can sometimes be quite difficult.

I think we became friends with our vet, Rene, the day she tried, for the third time, to draw blood while Makena struggled. The vein blew, splattering blood all over. Rene looked at me anxiously and I laughed as I said "I have done WAY worse than that!"

Years passed, and always it always seemed that when we visited for checkups, illness etc... that that our conversations with Rene were cut short by the needs of her fast paced clinic. So I asked during one visit, if she and her husband would like to come over and and have dinner with us. She was delighted to, and a few weeks later found us all lounging in our courtyard and chatting til late in the evening. Her husband is great guy too, and they are fun to hang out with.

One funny thing from that evening: Rene asked if I would hold up Makena near her so she could take a selfie with him. I said "you can hold him yourself" as I handed him to her. She was surprised to find him happily sitting in the crook of her arm and purring. She had only known the "Makena at the vet" monster Makena. She did not know the other Makena: patient, sweet and loving. She took the pic and said "nobody in the office is going to believe this." Turns out Makena had quite the reputation.....

So we socialize with our vet and her husband from time to time. Turned out we had a few things in common besides cats. We have all been kayaking together, and are planning some other outings together.

This is not an unusual way to meet friends for us. I will often ask someone over if it seems like good conversation might be had. But it is a little different with a professional whose services you use. We don't expect, nor would we accept a "discount" of any sort, nor would we impose with clinical questions outside of the office. Or expect any after hours or day off consults/visits. We keep the "friend" and "professional" distinctly separate because if the friendship goes away, you still need the professional (and vice versa.)
Thanks for sharing this story!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
bengalcatman bengalcatman That's a perfect example I think! Best way to do it. Keep the friendship and professional separate.

There was one vet who seemed really into cats. Think we meshed well together. I was going to request her to be our vet going forward but too bad she wasn't at the practice anymore after that.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
I also don't do social media except for off-topic subforums with people I already know.

I don't socialize with my conventional vet. They are very busy. The appointments there are usually brief and for the purpose of diagnosing illness. I use the low income clinic for vaccines, and of course the techs recognize me and we exchange the ususal small talk and pleasantries.

My holistic vet has been where I have been going for one of my dog's severe allergies. I took Willow to her right away because I knew she would advocate for me with getting the funding for Willow's spay and then assuring her caregiver that I was a responsible pet owner. When my dogs test results came back showing that she had an extreme allergy to cats, my vet wanted to tell me herself.

She has an excellent bedside manner and was able to deliver the information at a rate my emotions could handle. That is the kind of socialization with my veterinarian that I consider appropriate.

I rent a house from a former veterinarian, who has since sold his practice and attempted to become just like any other (expletive deleted) landlord. We make it work, but it is awkward.

I personally prefer to keep my vets on pedestals, which is where they belong.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I follow the vet clinic themselves, but I'm not friends with anyone there. I adore the staff though and actually one of the women who worked there used to live on the same block as me, but she moved not long after we moved in.

We have a good relationship I think. When we can, we've brought baked goods to them to thank them for the several times they have saved our dogs.

Our animals seem to love them, too. My cat, Sammy, is a little romeo with one of the techs and absolutely adores her. I think the team is just full of good people so the animals pick up on it.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Makena is at best, difficult at the vet. He is a very strong, and very fast animal. He listens very well to my wife and I, and trusts us a great deal, so one of us remains with him during all visits. You would not be able to draw blood, give a shot, palpate a bladder, etc. without one of us present to reassure him. So we are the exception to the policy of "no pet parents" in the room for certain procedures
At my vets they have a computer in the room that has your cats full file on the screen that you can read while waiting for the vet to attend to your cat.
In the section that describes you cat/dog/whatever behavior and how they are to be handled they have a comment for my cat .."owner assist all times.".
Sounds like Blue and Makena are very similar. Vets can do anything with Blue as long as I have a hand under his chin and gently rubbing his head..He growls and howls a lot but doesn't move..even with the dreaded thermometer..lol But like Makena he is so strong I would hate to see him really lose it.