How much do 6 month old kittens need to eat?

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi everyone,

So my darling Ava is 6 months old now and over the last month or so I have noticed her eating slowing down a lot. She eats a mixture of wet and raw so if the mods think it is better you can move this to the raw forum but I thought it would be better in the general area. 

She still likes food but she won't eat as much in one sitting as she used to. She also seems sick of of wet so I am feeding her more raw and she eats almost the amount that an active cat should get but not how much a kitten should get under the guidelines (I am upping her amount today to how much an active cat should get). Plus she eats probably 1-3 oz of wet and at the end of the day I let her eat some nature's variety LID turkey and I am guessing she probably eats at least 100 calories of this. She also gets bits of meat from me and eats the dogs leftover wet (it does not have anything dangerous for cats in it).

While her and Frank run around in the mornings she is not an incredibly active kitten and sleeps a lot of the day. Also like Frank a lot of her play involves her lying down while I have to wave the wand at her.

Is it normal for kittens to not eat as much at 6 months? I am just always worried she doesn't eat enough for a kitten and I do know she would eat more if I left out dry and I worry I am depriving her (I know it is crazy). But the thing is she is pretty chunky and big and I also worry about that. Here she is:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have fed raw for almost two years, started Ritz on it when she was around two years old.  Like Ava/Frank, Ritz has never been overly fond of playing; she exercises her tail a lot while watching the birds and the chipmunk!

Raw food can contain a fair amount of calories, depending on the cut/fat.  So it may be she is simply feeling fuller faster.  Dry food of course contains a fair amount of calories.  Wet food can actually contain less calories per ounce than raw food, depending on brand.

I kind of think the proof is in the pudding, so to speak:  if the cat's body size looks healthy, then I wouldn't worry about how much she is eating.  Ava looks pleasingly(?) plump, though the pose/position may be misleading.  Can you see a waist?

She looks like a real sweetheart, by the way. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks! Yes that is why I am feeding more raw now because she just would not eat enough wet (she gets bored really quick and wants to go try to eat the dogs food). She actually doesn't have much of a waist but I think that may be a breed trait as they are pretty stocky and fluffy cats 

see:

Here is a better shot of her body:

maple syrup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our kitten is almost 7 months.  He is exclusively raw.  I do find he goes through phases of eating a lot or eating a little.  I think it has to do with growth spurts. His tummy plumps up when he eats alot, and then he grows and his appetite slows down for a few weeks.  Up to a year they should be fed what they will eat.  Start with a reasonable portion... if she is still hungry, give another piece until she is satisfied.  Our little guy for his morning feed will eat only a couple of pieces as soon as it is put down... then wants cuddles and scratches - the morning greetings - and will go eat the rest 10 minutes later. I feed him probably 3-4 times a day with small portions.  When it is really hot he will not want his second meal until suppertime even though it is offered.   Cats don't need to graze.  Their tummys need time to digest and build up stomach acids before their next meal. 

If you are really concerned just weigh her once or twice a week.  If she is gaining then she is fine.  If she is losing weight you know to increase her portions or # of meals.  But really you can 'feel' whether she is a healthy weight or not.

Cheers

Sherri

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our kitten is almost 7 months.  He is exclusively raw.  I do find he goes through phases of eating a lot or eating a little.  I think it has to do with growth spurts. His tummy plumps up when he eats alot, and then he grows and his appetite slows down for a few weeks.  Up to a year they should be fed what they will eat.  Start with a reasonable portion... if she is still hungry, give another piece until she is satisfied.  Our little guy for his morning feed will eat only a couple of pieces as soon as it is put down... then wants cuddles and scratches - the morning greetings - and will go eat the rest 10 minutes later. I feed him probably 3-4 times a day with small portions.  When it is really hot he will not want his second meal until suppertime even though it is offered.   Cats don't need to graze.  Their tummys need time to digest and build up stomach acids before their next meal. 

If you are really concerned just weigh her once or twice a week.  If she is gaining then she is fine.  If she is losing weight you know to increase her portions or # of meals.  But really you can 'feel' whether she is a healthy weight or not.

Cheers

Sherri
Thanks she is for sure getting bigger each week, and she is almost the size of my adult cat at 6 months. I just worry because she is growing but doesn't seem to be eating a ton. Other people describe their kittens as always wanting food but while she likes to nosh she never eats huge amounts. I do feed them about 4 plus times a day though but it seems like my adult cat eats more than she does and is the one bugging me for food. 

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh pretty.  And feeding raw, her coat must be beautiful, soft and silky.  Though I did read they don't reach maturity until 3 years of age.

If she continues to eat less but gains weight, I'd take her to the vets for a check up.